USAA water claim

wisdom08

I’m out of the country (of course. Do these things ever happen when you are home?). I had a ceiling pouring water down into one room. Got the couch soaked and a rug. The coach was imported from Italy years ago but don’t have receipts etc. (used old job as email for shopping) I have a photo of it before- my friends who found the water damage took it away to a dumpster as it would have molded. How do I estimate price? I believe it was about $5k around 2010. TIA

@wisdom08 Get smarter friends. There are types of losses where you would have no coverage for this, a couch is not totaled just because it got wet, and $5,000 is a lot of room to find cost effective ways to clean or repair it.

@wisdom08 Ugh personally hate getting these kinds of files on my desk because your friends have effectively made everyone’s jobs harder, yours included.

All property should be retained until insurance has had a chance to assess the damages and determine if it can be professionally cleaned or if it needs to be replaced. For a sofa like you’ve described, most insurance companies will pay for the item but then expect to be able to take possession of the damaged item (couch) in exchange for the payment. Your friends have effectively prevented insurance from being able to do this.

As for what you need to do now:

1) contact homeowners insurance and notify them of the damages ASAP - the last thing you want is for them to give you a hard time because you waited until you returned home to notify them
2) contact EMS (emergency mitigation services) so they can begin the dry out process to prevent further damages and mold
3) have your friends get your couch back IF this is possible… just trust me that it will save you a lot of headache in the future

@themasterkey Thank you. Unfortunately they got rid of the couch and rug as it had sat wet for days maybe weeks. We now found out a toilet was leaking and the whole ceiling needs to be replaced 😞. The adjuster comes tomorrow. It is what it is! I do have photos of it but that’s it. Oh well. Thanks for the response.