US full-time contractor v.s CAD Full-time Employee

@happyhollow What’s the benefit of using usd CC? The USD is floating at near it’s all time high so just looking at history are we likely to see significant gains is usd over cad?

When I living in USA, i was paid in cad but I had a usd cc and bank account. But I didn’t look into it whether that was the best way to do it. I didn’t think it mattered significantly one way or the other.

@nilz I am very interested in why all the comments mentioning the contractor option are downvoted.

Being a contractor (corporation specifically) comes with a variety of tax advantages.

@raymondrieger The conditions in Option 1 don’t meet the CRA definition of a contractor, so OP would be sacrificing the advantages of being an employee without gaining the rights of a contractor.

@mack77 Also, do we even know that the employer is willing to extend the offer to a corporation? There’s no mention of that in OP’s post. A corporation is a separate legal entity from OP so the employer would need to make an offer to, make payments to, etc, the corporation and not OP.

@nilz For option 1, yes, you'd be considered a sole proprietorship and you'll be able to deduct certain expenses. Most of which you'd be able to deduct as an employee if they fill out the appropriate form that says you work from home.

Incorporation is a different matter. Having had to do that in the past for what was essentially a self-proprietorship I would say don't bother. When you really only have 1 client (and you're not going to easily get around that), you're going to pay essentially the same in taxes either way. Incorporating may give you some VERY slight liability protection, but incorporated or not, you should get some basic insurance for liability and errors & omissions. Likely best bet is to talk to an insurance broker for your industry on what exactly you should get.

Personally, having done both, I'd go with being an employee, especially given what you've provided. In both cases you're being paid the same, and they're offering to adjust annually based on exchange rates. As an employee in Canada, they're going to pay half your CPP and EI and you'll be eligible for EI. As a self-prop you'd have to opt into EI and its rarely worth it.

@willrise It depends a lot on the specifics of the job, and CRA isn't about to go investigating. They really will only look if someone requests a ruling, and in those cases, its generally the employer who will be in trouble rather than the contractor. There's very little risk to the employee in these situations, assuming they're still filing taxes correctly.

@nilz Option 1 has a lot of questions for me. What does "don't worry you're still considered a full time employee as far as we're concerned" really mean? Does this mean contractually you will have the same benefits, stability, protections, etc. Are there things like bonus structure or compensation review that full time employees get that wouldn't be guaranteed to you as a contractor?

I work for a US company remotely and get paid in CAD. It's easy. Would not switch personally to option 1.