Us “poors” can’t get a real doctor anymore and finding a NP isn’t easy either.

teelea68

I have Cigna and spent 2hrs on the phone with them AND called 9 different DR and NP offices. Can’t find anyone accepting new patients that isn’t requiring “concierge” fees. And no way to filter them out on the Cigna portal. Guess I’ll go to the emergency room for everything now.

Update: finally got directed to Inova hospitals physician network and they helped me find an available practice covered by Cigna.

@steffi Last 2 times I was sick I went to urgent care because I knew it would be impossible to get a next day appointment. Once for strep and once for pneumonia, needed antibiotics both times.

@elizabethc I live in a major urban area. All I’m asking for is a list of practices that are really available and covered by my employers plan. I get that keeping the database updated is difficult, but how many do you have to call to find a match? Of 9 calls, nothing so far?

@elizabethc I wouldn't recommend this for anyone on a deductible plan, as hospital affiliated providers, will often bill through the hospital system as an outpatient hospital visit, and a sick visit that would normally be about 200 dollars, now becomes 1500 because of hospital rates for services.

@resjudicata It depends on the location. If it's not in the hospital facility it most likely won't be, but it's still good to ask if the location bills hospital fees. I believe they're now required to have signage in the office about it as well. I even get an email before all my appointments saying there may be a facility fee.

@healthchristian That's true, but even if there's not a separate facility fee, the contracted allowables for any practice associated with a hospital system are often several times higher than the allowables for an independent provider. Which gives me an extra layer of frustration for OP's situation where they can't find an independent provider who accepts their plan.

@elizabethc I see claims for it all the time in the NY region.

You have a 30 dollar copay to see Dr Smith, and then a second claim from NYU Hospital for 2k dollars for an outpatient hospital visit.

@resjudicata Suppose that is going to vary by state, healthcare costs in NY and NJ are pretty crazy from what I've heard tbh. I live in Michigan and I've been to doctors at U of M hospital system and henry ford system and I've never had that happen.

Go to know tho

@teelea68 And that's a perfectly acceptable use of urgent care as intended. Too many people go to the ER for non-urgent issues.

Even though I have a PCP, it's hard to get in quickly. If I can't get an appointment, I ask if I can see the PA or should I go to urgent care.

As far as finding one, just keep on calling.

@teelea68 More doctors are going concierge because insurance is a nightmare to work with. The patient load required is no longer manageable-especially when doctors have to constantly get prior authorizations. Yes, they earn more, but they also can focus on patients.

I’d suggest you call Cigna and tell them you need help finding one. If they can’t help, and you have employer sponsored care, call your HR department and explain you cannot find care. They pay a lot for your coverage!

@winston_32 Before I posted here I did call Cigna multiple times and the reps are understanding. Tried to help narrow down by filtering, gave me lists to call… but all attempts were either concierge or not accepting or no answer after long hold times. Also let my HR know, it’s definitely a waste of our premiums.

@heretichermes Do you mean offices branded under the hospital name? Like in my area that would be something like “VHC Physicians Group”? Or something affiliated with Inova? (Northern Virginia)

@teelea68 Sure, and also UVA it looks like. Try to find the phone numbers for their PCP practice(s) and just call and ask for the first available appointment. Then later check whether that physician is in-network for you. Or next time you are at an urgent care, ask them if they can refer you to a PCP.

Back