UPDATE - I found a lost premium bond that’s 30 years old..

@resjudicata Have a read of the NS and I website.
Nsandi.com

Basically money added in Feb is eligible in April, add in March to be eligible in May etc.

Once you buy the bonds it shows in your account when it will be eligible.

@objectivetruth I've had between £1k and £9k invested for about 3 years, I've won £75 in total.

Not great but it's always been emergency fund or short term storage so I couldn't put it anywhere else for better returns anyway.

@objectivetruth When I got married and changed my name my mum sent me my premium bonds to change the details. This was pre internet.
At the beginning of the year I decided to buy some more and linked it with my old bonds. I’d moved several times in the intervening years and any wins would have been missed.

Turns out they weren’t my bonds, we have no idea where mine went, but my mum’s, from 1957. And in all that time, they have won nothing.

@objectivetruth I found that each month I bought £500+ of bonds I would win £25 or more the next month. Not at all scientific but I did that over 8 months or so and won £175. I haven't added any recently and I haven't won anything either. I assume coincidence.

If I were putting my emergency fund into PB then I'd do it 1k at a time or £500 at a time.

@daniel_can Ahhh that is very interesting. It’d be interesting to do an experiment of, if you had £1000 in there, withdraw £200, put £200 back in, etc and see how that did compared to just leaving £1000 in