[Update] App for tracking investments

roadtrippin69

Earlier thread: One, Two, Three

I am finally here with what I think will be the first version of the app. You can view some screenshots here. The current features that are supported are:
  • Purely client side app. The app does not require you to login, and does not send any data to private servers.
  • The app tracks your net worth and shows you a chart over different periods. This works even for your current holdings, and the app will try to generate past data as well as it can. Shows you XIRR gains over your entire portfolio.
  • Support for ~500 stocks. You can view mutual fund shareholding patterns for your stocks and dividends on the stocks.
  • Support for regular and direct funds (growth option) for debt and equity from major houses (aditya birla, axis, boroda, BNP Paribas, BOI, Canara, DSP, Edelweiss, Essel, Franklin, HDFC, ICICI, IDFC, Invesco, Kotak, LT, PPFAS, Reliance, Sbi, Sundaram, Tata and UTI). Shows you top ten holdings for your equity mutual funds.
  • Gains for individual holdings are absolute for transactions less than 1 year, and XIRR otherwise.
  • Track all your dividends. This includes segregation into upcoming dividends, current FY, previous FY and all time. Dividends are not included in your portfolio gains thought (Should it?)
  • Check your portfolio weigths for individual stock and MF holdings.
  • Check your exposure to individual stocks and sectors across your portfolio, and compare it to NIFTY 50.
  • Mutual fund industry data (most held stocks by the industry, most bought and dumped stocks last month).
The app is still not on playstore (because I need a final feedback from you guys). Please install the app from here, if you are interested. I'd really appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

Edit 4 (22/09/2019 1:41 PM):

Rolled out a new build on the same link with some fixes.
  1. Some folks were seeing issues/crashes while importing statements from Kuvera. I've fixed the same. Thanks a lot to @mandaforjesus and @pinklady12 for reporting and helping so much for testing the fix.
  2. I observed on crashlytics that some folks faced issues while opening the app after adding the transaction. Fixed those issues too.
Edit 3 (19/09/2019 8:35 PM):
  1. Fixed the UI issue with smaller screens. Verified by @cricketts (thanks a lot!)
  2. Created r/Artos for updates (since someone wanted to subscribe somewhere for updates).
Edit 2 (19/09/2019 12:47 PM):

I have fixed a few issues from user feedbacks:
  1. Fixed the price history fetch issue when the app is opened for the first time. Would really be glad if someone can confirm this is working for them.
  2. Fixed divideds for some stocks. Thanks to @hamoninja
  3. Fixed recomputing dividends when transactions were deleted. Thanks to @hamoninja (again! You are awesome)
  4. Fixed crashing issue when the transaction was added for the current date.
Edit:

Several people have reported few issues:
  1. Few people are stuck on the onboarding screen, it seems to be happening on screen sizes < 6". I'm working on a fix. I'll update the thread once this is fixed.
  2. The app gets stuck on "Fetching price history" when you try to add stock/funds the first time. The app seems to be doing a lot of background work on first start. It should work if you restart the app in a minute and try again. Working on a fix for this too.

@ronstlaurent I think there's a lot of feature gaps right now, for ex, capital gains for the current FY, tax harvesting, supporting more stocks and funds. I'd like to work on those first.

Do you think there would be huge demand for crypto?

@roadtrippin69 I do own crypto and i've wanted an app that could track my stocks as well as crypto holdings. So you at least have 1 demand.

Also, by crypto I was suggesting a more wholistic approach. That is, you could probably also add gold and other assets to it. One app to manage all your finances and investments, no matter what asset or the investment may be.

I also understand it would take a lot of time to develop, but I guess all good things take time to make. In the end it's your app, so the vision and approach would be your call, but I think a fully featured app like the one I suggested would be a novelty as it is not "yet another stock tracker app".

The added beenfit to this is that you would simply cover a larger market base. Those who don't want to add crypto or gold to their holdings don't have to, but those who want to track such assets will have a reason to use your app as well.

@ronstlaurent Thank you for the detailed response. Really appreciate it.

I do plan to add more funds (and ETFs), and other assets. The vision is to let people track everything at one place, as you mentioned.

But, at this point, I'd like this to be good at one thing, and then scale to other assets. Since this is a pet project of mine, I am not sure how long this will take. But, i definitely intend to add other classes (including crypto) in the future.

The question right now is, is crypto a deal breaker for you?

@roadtrippin69 I no longer use apps to track my investments as I had to end up installing multiple ones(which is counter-intuitive and I might as well use other methods to track it, like the stock trading app + any other app that I use to invest).

So yes, at least for me it is a deal breaker, but I may be a minority so that is something for you to consider.

Edit-

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

I like the overall feel of the app very much. Won't suggest any major features as that is your prerogative but few points I'd like to add
  • Initial launch after install took more than 2min, but after that it launches smooth and fast.
  • Some funds seem to be missing. For eg. hdfc nifty 50 index fund
-The search function needs a coding overhaul. At the moment the search keywords need to be too precise. Something like money control where even partial matches not in series like just typing "icici nifty next" instead of having to add "Pru" all the time.

-Some navs I found to be mismatched with moneycontrol data which I know for a fact are correct cause I enter them manually after cross checking.
  • Current value of investments seem to be off by more than 1%. I am unsure if this is because of NAV discrepancy or if expense ratio deductions were not included.
-When adding a new transaction would really appreciate an "amount invested" along with "units bought". Most people tend to remember how much money they put in instead of how many units bought.

But overall I'm enjoying it very much. The stock overlap in the portfolio feature is lovely along with the whole design of the app.

I've tried to give an honest review so please don't mind. Rest assured everyone here would like to see this become a success. I've forwarded it to a few friends as well for review.

P.S. any reason for this particular name of the app?

@hevin7th Thank you for detailed feedback! :)
  1. Yes, I think several other people have reported this, and it seems to me that this because the app is doing a lot of data fetch in the background on first start. I am working to fix this.
  2. The fund adding process is manual! :( So, I might have missed it. Will add it, and more.
  3. Right now the search feature is just a prefix search I think. That's why I auto suggest so you can see what funds are getting filtered. Is this a convenience problem, i.e. you would just want it to be easier, or is this a discovery problem, i.e., you aren't able to find the fund even after the app filtering the list on your input?
  4. Does the price history seems to be a mismatch or the latest NAV seems to be a mismatch? The fund nav is updated using AMFI's published list, and it updated every couple of hours. Do you still see mismatch after some time? Can you tell me what funds are you looking at and i can take a look?
  5. If you're seeing a mismatch in NAV, you'd definitely see a mismatch in total value of investments.
  6. Great feedback, on adding a amount invested. I've seen generally there's slight discrepancy in units (last digits after the decimal) for the amount invested. Would that difference be okay for you in general?
  7. Hones feedback is all I need, and I would really appreciate you giving more feedback, or bugs if you notice something. For me the only success measure is people use it, and they would only use it if the app does what it's supposed to do.
  8. I'm a fan of names in different languages! I wanted the app name to start with 'A', and Artos means money in sudanese and bread in Greek, which kind of aligns with what the app is trying to do, give you a holistic view of your money (or bread :p). I was also planning to go with names of moons, or Greek personas! :p

@roadtrippin69 3 - It kinda is a discovery issue to be honest. But a minor problem overall I'd say.

4 - NAV mismatch is very odd because I put 1.5lc in absl tax relief 96 direct growth on 23 feb 2018 at a NAV of 31.94 which I checked from money control history and the transaction statement from AMC. The app however shows a nav of 32.23 which was the next day.

5 - The AMC app and money control both show a current loss of 3.13% but artos shows 2.57%. That's a difference of 800 odd rs. The difference in nav should compute to around 1370rs. Or if it was a difference in expense ratio I.e. 1.08% that should be near about 1500rs. So I can't really make head or tail of it haha. Now whether a mismatch of around 1k per 150k is worth pursuing or not is upto you.

6 - Difference of the second decimal digit is acceptable in my opinion and yes I've also noticed the same.

Now all I'm wondering is how to import all my data from money control. Would it possible to implement an SIP transaction mode? Because otherwise I would have to enter literally hundreds of transactions manually which in itself is a terrifying deterrent to most.

Once again these are all really just nitpicks. The app overall very good.

@hevin7th
  1. I'll look into how I can improve the auto complete feature then. Thank so much for the feedback.
  2. I've checked yahoo finance (which I fetch the history from), and it shows the NAV to be 32.23 on 23rd Feb'18. I checked AMFI and that too shows a price of 32.23 for 23rd Feb. See the entry from AMFI below:

119544;Aditya Birla Sun Life Tax Relief '96 - Growth - Direct Plan;INF209K01UN8;;32.23;32.23;32.23;23-Feb-2018

I am not sure what's the best way to tackle this is, since this a pure client side app.
  3. I think this stems from the NAV issue in the previous point. If there's an issue with the cost price at which you bought the units, there would be a diff in the gains :(
  4. Thanks for this suggestion again! I'll add the amount invested part soon then (with a note probably)! :)
What are you currently using to track your investments? What is the minimum feature gap (absolutely critical) that you'd need before you use Artos?