Unmatched wages

@jorian Why are you still supporting your grown children? Support is something you give them to thrive. My dad supported me financially all throughout college so I could focus on my degree. He supported me emotionally as I worked through engineering school. And now in my 30s he's supported me by giving me a leg up in other ways, like giving my husband and I $30k for a down payment, or helping me pay for grad school.

There's a difference between supporting and enabling. If you're able to support your children so they're able to live a solid middle class life then that's great. It sucks that there is a true wage disparity. You're not wrong about that. But your kids aren't going to get themselves to a good end point if you're just covering the costs of their everyday living.

lol, I support them and don’t finance their lives. My kids are doing great. Oh and this year I made more than I said and I’m extremely comfortable so fuck off

@johneneinc Ok, let’s set the record straight. I just did taxes. I made +175k this year. I lost 2 depends so it’s just 3. Yeah, I’m not there anymore. Sorry to comment here

So all the comments are appreciated. I just filed taxes and I was wrong. I made $173,499 this year and it’sI guess I’m not supposed to be here.

@jorian "...The wage disparity is incredible..."

...do you honestly think things would be any "better" if we forced everyone to be paid the same wage?

@jorian Lol how do you think people feel trying to buy a house now in 23? They'd love to have the kind of purchasing power you did back then.

I disagree with commenters saying it's wrong for you to support your kids through their 20's, as long as they are doing the right things. They are trying to make their way in a much more difficult world than the one you grew up in.

@jorian I just love that in the article is points out how GenZ talks about how it would take "years to save up $30k for closing costs and a down payment". $30k?! LOL. Where, on the f'ing surface of Venus? I know I'm in a bubble of pain and despair in sunny southern CA but $30k and you can buy a house? that is just adorable.

@jorian I'm $150k and a net worth of around $500k give or take, $210k household but with 2 school aged kids, HCOL area, an expensive divorce (almost) behind me, child support and I guess I just feel middle class, despite it not being feasible to buy a starter home post-divorce. I just don't really associate middle class w/home ownership in my area anyway though and look more at net worth and income to determine 'class', fiscally. 65% or so of people rent here, there are a high % of high earner or high nw renters in the area, it makes little financial sense to buy in the area right now outside of it being a luxury, lifestyle choice etc. blah blah. anyone doing similarly in southern CA or HCOL area hears what I'm saying, and to the rest, I might as well be speaking Vulcan. But that's going to be a totally different story for someone who 'got in' 15 years ago. They could have bought a house for $190k thats now worth $900k and making $40k a year. By just looking at wages, that's poverty level but figure they live in an asset worth $900k, that sure changes things.. These discussions just leave out so many potential variants.

Anyway, stuck in the endless middle. There's a line in Succession where Tom says to Greg how Greg is finally "moving away from the endless middle, towards the bottom of the top". That stuck with me. What a dream to have, to be mobile in that way.

Point being, mostly it's all relative to location. Plenty of middle class homeowners in LCOL states with sub $100k net worths making $60k and I would consider that lower, lower middle class, working class or poor by the standards here. Whereas they would think $200k hh income and a $500k net worth is killing it.

I fear I will be languishing in the middle until the day I die. Oh well, could be worse?

This is an interesting stat. Tracks net worth percentiles by age in the US with and without equity. With equity, majority of people in 45-49 yr age group (late gen X), aside from 65% percentile and above are generally doing poorly WITH equity, and without it, are basically broke.

https://dqydj.com/net-worth-by-age-calculator/

Back