Trying to sell car and hit by deer

sarahcalendar

I posted my car online to sell and a few weeks later I got hit by a deer. The deer severely dented in the driver side door (can’t open anymore), shattered driver door window, dented driver side rear door, cracked windshield and dented panel right next to windshield. The field adjuster came out and said,

“Preliminary estimate on IV attached (repair estimate) - $5029.88

Market Value Report to confirm value for the Subaru is $9,748- Total Loss threshold is $7,311

IV appears repairable unless Supplement over $2000

IV will need to be towed to shop- torn down and any hidden damage confirmed”

My question is, how do I get the most money for my car in this situation?
  1. Do I get the repairs done and sell it (North Carolina law doesn’t require insurance companies to compensate for depreciation). It also has another hit on the history when I had to get the roof replaced two months ago.
  2. Keep the money and sell as is, hoping to get a fair amount for the car when I sell it.
  3. Any other ideas that I haven’t thought of.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My family of 4 and 2 dogs are trying to get a bigger vehicle and this threw a wrench in my plan to sell

@sarahcalendar Well, you're close to a total loss, but not quite close enough. Given it was a deer, there's probably not a lot of hidden damage, but there might be some hidden damages. I'd take it to a shop you insurance company recommends because if they can total it, then there won't be any storage charges and it is just easier for everyone involved, including you.

If it ends up repaired and the repairs are guaranteed and the vehicle is back to factory specs, it will not have a loss in value. The shop should guarantee their work and if whomever you sell the car to, you can provide that paperwork to the purchaser. Also, at least in my state, that unless you report the accident to the DMV, repairs do not show up on a Carfax report. Insurance companies (in my state) do not report to the DMV. See if they do in your state. One of the reasons Carfax reports are a crock of you know what. There are so many states where accidents and damages never make it to where Carfax can get the info... I tell people to bring someone who really knows cars if you buy a used car. They can tell you so much more about if the car has ever been repaired or had frame damage than any report could ever tell you.

@realsavior FYI the insurance company I work for does not guarantee repairs if the vehicle is sold. So verify that information- generally just get it fixed and then sell it.