Trying to get ahead can be really depressing..

ilearn

Cost of living crisis

After the mortgage, bills and regular necessities are paid for each week. My husband and I are left with very little to save in order to get ahead in life ($100-200 pw) Which leaves barely any money hobbies, interests, going out to eat. All we do is either watch TV, Read all day and the occasional hike.

Anyone else experiencing this atm?

@ilearn I'm in almost the same situation, but I'm single, so a lot less money to go around. I have about $50 left after bills and mortgage each week. The only way I can pay for something if it comes up is to spend less on food for the week.

@radmilabartosova Yeah some weeks it’s $50 with unexpected costs 😢 we are trying to cut back on weekly food shop and have cut all subscriptions except Netflix but that’ll go too as the price is going up again

@ilearn I have found streaming sites that show all the latest TV shows within an hour if them dropping. Never had any issues. All you need is a couple of popup blockers which are free from chromestore

@ilearn Single, paying $460 rent per month on min wage. Yes. food is costly, but petrol to get around has become the most noticeable dent in the coffin. With NACT in charge, i expect it to get worse.

@ilearn Yep I'm basically just intermittent fasting or having one meal a day as it is financially easier. I have been trying to live well below my means so I can stash money away. Unexpected bills can fuck you up. Best to keep prepared

@ilearn I'm sure many are with the cost of living the way it is. Have you ever talked to anybody about your income and outgoings? Sometimes small tweaks can make a world of difference.

@snlmommy I’ve made a few cuts with food and subscriptions. We are trying save for decent hybrid cars to cut back on fuel. It’ll take a long while.

@ilearn Thats quite a bit. Is commuting together possible? Is public transport cheaper? Possible to work from home at all or more often? Shop around for insurance as well.

@ilearn I work Saturdays doing building labour , make about $500. That’s our get ahead money. Maybe sacrifice the reading and hikes on the weekend for a while.. depressing I know