Trying to get a credit card after 1 month

norburn

So i opened a bank account on JP bank as other thread recommended but i realized that i dont get a credit card not even a debit card! I came from Argentina and whenever you open a bank account it comes with a debit card, but this JP just gave me a cash card? Just to take out or put in money, and a notebook to check my balance? Im was like wtf i thought that i just have to download some kind of app to check balance, transfer, pay bills...

Anyways, im trying to get my hands on a proper credit card to pay for things (few days ago i tried to purchase ticket for a event in l-tike.com and it reject my 3 credit cards from Argentina whether Visa or Mastercard) what bank do you recommend to open account for a foreigner with working holiday visa? I just want to use it to purchase tickets, shopping if possible with a app for ease of use or online application because my Japanese is not very good.

I saw a lot of points cards and % cashback here in Japan, especially points cards so... if the credit card you recommend provide this benefits the better!

@norburn If you just need the credit card to buy thing SMBC might be good. When you make a Prestia account you get the one. But it’s not credit, just lets you buy stuff if you have cash in your account.

Something else to be careful of, people say if you get declined you have to wait 6 months to apply for another card.

Good luck, can be difficult when you first arrive here.

@norburn Getting a credit card with such a short time in Japan without credit history will not be easy. The alternative is think about those cashless app based payment like PayPay Rakuten Pay. You can put cash through ATM to charge the cashless wallets. There are shops right now accepting PayPay but no card at all!

@norburn Latino person here.

Go to a bank directly with documents. My experience was terrible because all smaller companies rejected me and didn't even look at my application. I went to Shinsei with all my paperwork, and the agent told me that each bank or institution is free to decide arbitrarily. Shinsei issued a card with an obscene credit line and while this happened, Rakuten told me I didn't have enough income for the crappiest card they had. It's a bit random. Go directly to the bank and operate with an institution that is used to foreigners.

Shinsei is good, as they have their own acquirer. SMBC is also good. Stay away from independent companies. They don't understand that we have longer names and assume we won't pay without even looking at the application. If you're fluent in Japanese, that gives you extra points somehow.

@resjudicata Holaa!

Unfortunately, my japanese its pretty basic so my hopes arent what high but i will try these "foreign-friendly" banks. Its so hard to just get a credit card?! thanks for your response btw.

Saludos!

@norburn Aeon Bank was the most supportive of me as a foreigner, and they do a thing where you get an integrated credit card with your cash card if you pass their credit checks, or an integrated debit card if not. (Also does Waon and points). I don't know if they can deal with working holiday status, but they'd be my top recommendation in general. They're also the only Japanese bank I know where most branches are open on evenings and weekends.

@norburn Hola

It depends on several factors. I was beyond the threshold, but Rakuten, Seven, and EPOS rejected me. Then Shinsei approved it, and they told me they used a different acquirer. Since I tend to ask many questions just out of curiosity, the clerk at Shinsei told me that basically, the companies decide based on how my debt you could get into, so if you are a good payer, it may not be good business for the acquirers that rely on revolving payments—like Falabella or any other typical South American card.
If you need a card for transactions, get one with Seven Bank or Aeon, but if it's for credit, then go directly to a bank and get the clerks to help you sort out the bureaucracy. My bank always changes my name because someone doesn't seem to stomach the fact we may have two or more given names.

Good luck!

@norburn I’m not latina but in the experiences of me and other friends from major English speaking countries, it’s usually recommended to wait until ~6 months before trying to apply for a card. I was rejected once by Rakuten around that time but applied a second time a couple months after that and got approved