Tree cracked my house—Insurance company won't pay!

moonbeams

I had part of a large oak tree fall down in front of my house in Oregon (the tree is only about 6’ from the house). The tree did not hit the house, but I suspect the roots go under or touch the house, because when it fell it created four long cracks on the wall inside my living room (the room nearest the tree). (I previously observed that when the tree swayed in strong winds, it would create cracking sounds within my house).

I made a claim with my homeowner insurance company but they’re denying it because the tree didn’t hit my house. They said I could pay out of pocket to have an expert inspect the foundation to see if there was any damage, but there’s no guarantee they’ll reimburse me for the inspection or any problems that are found.

Anyone have any advice about the best way to proceed?

Thank you.

@moonbeams Damage from tree roots is foreseeable and preventable and not covered. You should have cut that tree down a long time ago. Tree fall damage would have only been covered if the falling tree landed on the house, earth movement exclusion would apply to anything involving the roots. A strong case can also be made that tree root damage is excluded as it's a result of neglect and lack of maintenance.