Total Loss Claim

betweenworlds

Sorry it's long... lot of details had to be included.

Background: My insurance is covering me on a no-fault accident I was in... they will recover via subrogation later.

My Ford F-150 was deemed a total loss (semi truck drove over my hood... literally) and I do not agree with the insurance company's payoff amount.

Insurance company uses Mitchell's to create the vehicle valuation report. That report had 3 vehicles in it. Those 3 vehicles ended up needing 24 total adjustments just to make them comparable. That screams, "You have the wrong comparables" to me. Oh, and side note, my vehicle's base model, when new, before any options, was 40,000 back in the day (12 years old now). With upgrades, the msrp was 47,000. They are using 36,000l.

So, I spoke with my contact MANY times about this and finally asked her to let me show her what a difference there is between real comparables and the garbage ones the software pulled. The list i pulled together was so close to my truck that only 2 adjustments would be needed per vehicle. I asked her to run the valuation based on those. She didn't want to, but couldn't find reason not to. She did warn me, though, that this wouldn't change anything, and they would stick by their numbers.

After more than a week, I finally hear the report is done. I asked her to send me a copy, and she said she could not. She said they were not even supposed to run a 2nd report, but if I agreed this version was final, she would send it to me. I pushed back hard on that, and she sent me the report without requiring me to accept it as final.

I got the report, and not only was my truck price lower than before, but there was not even one single truck on it from the list of trucks i had given her.

I've asked for an explanation re where the trucks came from on the report... no response... we talk, but she keeps diverting the conversation away from the report. We're just about out of other things we were dealing with, and this will be the last piece to address to close things up. There was no valid reason for her to summarily dismiss the ones I gave her, much less throw all of them out.

In the 2 months I've worked with them on this, she just keeps saying I'm delaying closing the claim for no good reason. And if I'm not careful, my lender will intervene and allow the insurance company to close for the amount we owe on our loan, which leaves nothing left for us to use toward a down payment for our next vehicle.

Can't use a lawyer, no injuries, so this is just small potatoes and not cost effective for them to take on. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I can do at this point? We are about 6k below where we should be.

@betweenworlds Did you find comparables to support your ~6k~ difference or you just pull that outta the air? That’s the problem with truck/ people who think their stuff is worth gold owners imo (few not all) they pull these numbers out of thin air with no evidence as to why , cars trucks whatever there are a shit ton out there.

12y/o truck how many miles? Cars are depreciating assets (9/10). Search for 3-5 (more the better) exact comparable, in a reasonable distance you would drive to buy one, with extremely similar mileage and send those in.

Ex you have 2010 F-150 platinum with 120k miles , find that exact model and trim line with as close to miles as to 120k give or take.

Sounds like there aren’t many tho cause insurance only gave you 3, but if there is that’s the price someone would buy it for (likely less cause you negotiate at the dealer) How far did you go to buy the totaled one? Provides evidence if it’s more than 100 miles.

These programs take in copious amounts of data to spit out those numbers and your premium is a reflection as such. The insurance isn’t gonna screw you over. That’s what the computer says it’s worth. Check the vin, model, and all options make sure they are listed on that report.

After market parts lower the value of your car too, if it’s standard factory that’s better. If you put a lift / after market stuff on it thats not built in the factory worth its scrap value. If you put new tires/ any maintenance or service related item those don’t count for that much, it’s expected to do that.

Sounds like in the two months , your car lost value vs what it was two months ago. It’s an f-150. F-350 plus seen hold great value esp the duallys , Lots of F-150 out there.

Also, Subro against the other carrier is not guaranteed. It your company over pays and the other company calls that out, it’ll not look good, your company eats that and it’s reflected in your payout.

Check your policy see if their is an appraisal clause. You pay your own appraiser tho and the results are binding

GL boss !

Edit: you already sent comparables. The adjustments are made cause if ford boomer town lists it for $40k on cars.com, chances are y they sell it to you for $36k plus dealer fees. Insurance owes you for the car not any dealer BS that comes with it.

Yes, on the home work side of things. I'm a little obsessive when it comes to dealing with things... don't want to be caught on the dumb side of the equation, I've crammed for hours to get up the learning curve quickly so i can negotiate from a position of well informed. But the behavior I'm running into isn't textbook stuff, that's for sure.

Anyway, I provided my contact with 3 solid comparables. So solid, they only needed one or two adjustments, if that, to be almost 100% match to my truck.

My comparables are legit dealer listings. I pulled the original window sticker for each of them, made a spreadsheet of all possible features and upgrades, and then checked off the ones that applied to each truck.

The comparables i provided would have put my trucks' value solidly at 20k, and those comps were easy to find. And they want me to accept 14k?

The strange thing is, my contact must have tossed the vins and supporting documentation I sent her. Because the guy who ran the report said he was given the vins by my contact, who claimed to him they were customer provided. I texted her this afternoon asking her to explain. She texted back and said she needed to talk to the guy who ran the report and she'll call me in the morning.

Not sure what the next best move is at this point.