Tips for switching from salary to contract? Writing a new employment contract from scratch

thaylon

Hey guys. I'm looking for tips on how to switch from a full-time salary worker in the USA to fully contract, as I'm going to be moving out of the country but still working for this same company. We decided this would be the easiest way to continue the employment, but now I need to convert and create myself a new contract and I need help.

I realize that the benefits I got as a full-time employee (401k match, for example) don't translate as part of the salary so I could try and work those in, converted to $$, if I were looking for the exact or similar compensation package.

Do you guys have any recommendations, or things I should make sure I include in there? I have never designed my own employment contract before, and I don't even know where to start. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

@shawnab No, not really. The info I have gathered has all varied wildly and it's tough to know what a "standard" route would be, guess it's up to what the employer will tolerate? ugh