Tiktok is Starting to Hit the Bottom lines of Google (Youtube) and Meta. Will this turn into potential existential threats?

mariab626

A few months ago, I had asked about the impact of tiktok on the bottom lines of youtube and meta in a post. Given the last few earnings, it looks like tiktok is starting to have impacts on both meta and youtube. Given the decent miss in earnings in youtube it is fair to say they are feeling the heat (it may also be due to reopenings). However I think it's mostly due to tiktok.

https://money.yahoo.com/video/tiktok-clearly-taking-share-youtube-205032494.html

Furthermore looking at the data provided by sensortower, shows alarming insights.

https://go.sensortower.com/rs/351-R...sEwVz3rNyDAkZN0-fQuhu3ND-yX58iPbYPlpWbfTgSkeE

https://go.sensortower.com/rs/351-R...sEwVz3rNyDAkZN0-fQuhu3ND-yX58iPbYPlpWbfTgSkeE

Youtube downloads are starting to decrease. Meta seems to be stagnant (mainly being carried from India which has tiktok ban). Meanwhile tiktok is increasing. Extrapolating the trend it shows that Tiktok could potentially pose existential threats to youtube and Meta. However I am not sure if there is a strong replacement for messaging which Meta still has a huge market share of.

@mariab626 This is natural

Youtube downloads are starting to decrease. Meta seems to be stagnant (mainly being carried from India which has tiktok ban). Meanwhile tiktok is increasing.

YOutube gets bundled in every Android phone. META is already at a saturation level. TiTok is the new game in the town, it will be popular. Question is, for how long?

Combined Facebook and Insta download is much higher than the TikTok numbers even after having such a large userbase already.

@resjudicata >YOutube gets bundled in every Android phone. META is already at a saturation level. TiTok is the new game in the town, it will be popular. Question is, for how long?

Its not preinstalled in iphone though right? So app store downloads give a good indication as well...

>Combined Facebook and Insta download is much higher than the TikTok numbers even after having such a large userbase already.

its not... mainly india carrying. Look at the US numbers fb + ig = 22 mn~ Titkok is 19 mn solo. A lot of people have both fb and ig as well.

@mariab626
its not... mainly india carrying. Look at the US numbers fb + ig = 22 mn~ Titkok is 19 mn solo. A lot of people have both fb and ig as well.

So you are saying that a brand new viral app could not crack the download count of age old "hated" apps? what is the positive in this?

@resjudicata i am sorry but can you not read/analyze data... fb/ig are decreasing tiktok is increasing... The speed of tiktok growth is unprecented no one has been this fast before...

@mariab626 Why wouldn’t the speed be the fastest? The user base is much larger on mobile devices than when FB and IG originally came out. Looks like you are the one that can’t analyze or understand how things work.

In 10 years, when the mobile devices in the world increase by a billion-2 billion, and a viral app like tiktok comes along, you don’t think that app will be the faster/most downloaded than anything before it?

FB/IG is more impressive here to have these numbers after already reaching majority of users with phones for past 10 years

@mariab626 You’re also comparing early growth numbers during Covid and with way higher smartphone users compared to 5~10 years ago for meta/google. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison. No denying that TikTok is a force to be reckoned with but maybe don’t criticize other perspectives so quickly.

@mariab626 I’m on TikTok. I feel like I must be missing something because I don’t really see a threat to YouTube. They have VERY different use cases. TikTok seems to be for the ADHD crowd (teenagers) who are just looking for quick

@jjoel10 I don't see YouTube and Tiktok as being direct competition too. Unless Tiktok is going start hosting longer duration videos.

@mariab626
a lot of my fav channels on yt are making more and more tiktok clips so i dunno...

TikTok is a time killer, just a passing fad. YT features a wide variety of media including short clips. Youtube is here to stay, TikTok not so much.

@resjudicata Lots of YouTube content creators who have few hundred subscribers get on a Tik-Tok and get hundreds of thousands of subscribers.

YouTube has become the home of mostly professional full time creators, on the other hand Tik-Tok appeals to the everyday non-professional creator, which seems to attract a bigger audience.

@jjoel10 How long have you been on TikTok? I find its algorithm to be the most powerful of any media platform I've ever used, and I think a lot of young people would agree. It's so extremely addicting. It's frighteningly easy to spend 3 hours straight staring at TikTok and then looking up and realizing just how much time I wasted.

@jjoel10 Anytime you're using you're phone to watch tiktok and not YouTube is competition in their eyes. That's Ad revenue they're losing.