Thoughts on this TSP allocation?

michaelsu

Of course, everyone’s preference changes based on risk and other factors, but what do you guys think of this TSP allocation?

30% L-2050
25% C
30% S
15% I

When you factor in the L-2050, the final allocation as of late 2019 is approximately..

37% C
34% S
24% I
3% G
2% F

Over time the 30% in L-2050 will lightly increase G and F while contributions in the raw funds will ensure a relatively aggressive stock position.
(All numbers above are appx)

@michaelsu L2055 and L2060 come out in a few months and will be adopting the new asset allocation strategy that'll bring them more in line with industry peers. I would check them out as they will be overweighted in equities and underweighted in fixed income compared to current L funds.

@michaelsu Depending on your age and risk tolerance. I’m full throttle till I’m 50. I’m split between the C and S. I’m ok with a lot of risk. I don’t mind working a few extra years to get the most out of the market.

@michaelsu If you already know the final allocation weights, why not just put themselves there yourself?

Then you could choose more F over G (my recommendation).

@michaelsu Makes more sense to either use an L fund completely or allocate for yourself typically. I'd look into what each fund is and base your strategy on a sound knowledge base or let tye L fund do what it is designed to do in that you allocate your entire funds to it and let it diversify for you. Either you agree with L fund allocations or you don't. If not just do it yourself. If you do then let it do its thing.