Those in this community that are over 40s, what do you do for work?

stringplayer

I was just thinking the other day that most of us are instilled upon heavily to hustle and grind like no tomorrow throughout our 20s and 30s.

We’re supposed to not only work a full time job with laser focus and go higher and higher up the corporate rungs, have a 5-9 after our 9-5, fill our weekends with courses to upskill, have 2-3 side hustles, go full steam ahead when we’re still young with lots of energy.

What’s the end goal here? To hustle and grind our way to our graves? I’d like to think by the time we’re in our 40s, we’re more financially settled.

And I think if I were already financially comfortable I’d like to still work in my 40s and 50s and even beyond (albeit something far less demanding at a much slower pace) to keep my mind occupied and for other positives such as social stimulation, intellectual exchange, having a productive routine, being a contributing member of society etc.

So I’m looking for inspiration toward that slower lifestyle - what do those of you in this community who are over 40 do for work?

@azarelstar For me, it's mostly fear. Fear that I will not have enough for retirement. Fear that my parents who are both uninsured and also I have no idea about their savings, fall sick and needs substantial finances to take care of (only child so no siblings to share the burden).

@azarelstar Talking to my parents about finances is rough.

Grew up being told there was no money to point of being constantly reminded of how much I cost by existing and yet somehow they spent thousands on supplements and gifts for other people.

Already keep my current salary a secret from them coz of how my mother ended up spending most of my first year salary

@stringplayer I'm in retail, last 15 years I have built a team of loyal managers that take care of the day to day, every manager has been with me at least 12+ years...I basically wfh less than 10 hours a week, managing finances and payments

Pretty much live the life of a retiree at this point, but still running a biz that brings in 7 digits revenue annually

Most of the spare time I use trading klse and reading up.