They're now asking for $6k. Drove car into fence and some large hedges. Out of pocket or file a claim?

hwmson0413

I drove into someone's hedges and fence and they came back with a contractor that it would cost $6,100 to fix it. See pictures. Can I get some advice on what I should do next? This seems really expensive but I can liquidate some of my assets to pay it off as well as use up all my life savings. Nearly no car damage.

See images and video at the end:

I'm wondering two things:
  • Is it really worth $6,100? Should I ask to get estimates from other local gardening contractors. It seems crazy that 4 plants and a small black wire fence cost that much (including labor).
  • Should I pay out of pocket or should I file a claim? I do have the money but I don't mind using up all my life savings.
They told me the $6,000 is do to the below:
  • Total of 80 labor hours divided in 3 days
  • Fence Factory: Fencing material (9ga 4' chainlink black fence, 1 7/8 Clr T Bands, tension wire and post mix)
  • Abe Nursery: (4) 24" Ficus Pro Garden:Fertilizer, Compost, soil staples, drip hose,, emitters, figs and couplings.
  • Hauling and Dumping: Few runs to local transfer station to dispose of debris (green waste and fencing material)

@hwmson0413 Use your insurance!!! You pay for the coverage for this reason. You can throw away money you've already spent on insurance and your life savings or get the most of the money you have paid for the coverage and the ability to use it.

@panagiotism True but wouldn't I end up eventually end up paying back $6,000 from the premiums? And if I could somehow negotiate it to be lower, wouldn't it make even more sense to pay out of pocket?

@hwmson0413 For bigger wrecks it's usually a few hundred extra for about three years. It's some money but it's cheaper than blowing yourself up for this much cash upfront.

@hwmson0413 I doubt that. Over the next 3 years I’d be shocked if you pay that much more in added premium. I’m not one to make guarantees, but I’d wager you’d come out ahead financially filing the claim vs out of pocket

@hwmson0413 You don’t pay back with your premium over time. Your premium will go up, yes. But it is not like the insurance divide these $6000 into 10 installment payments so your premiums in the next 10 years are $600 more per year until you pay it off. It’s not like this at all.

@hwmson0413 You should listen to the advice here about contacting the city. If they covered that fire hydrant with the hedges they cannot put them back and you may be off the hook.

@resjudicata Let your insurance company have that conversation with them! You don't need the hassle of negotiating with the city, the claimant, the contractor and everyone else that will be involved in this! If there's a city ordinance that prohibits this, the adjuster will take care of it.

@shatteredheart Thanks, I think you're right. I'm going to call my insurance company and give them all the evidence and let them handle it whether it's reporting the hydrant, negotiating with the contractor and everyone else involved.

@hwmson0413 This is a no brainer. Use your insurance. This is a large claim and that is what insurance is for. If they feel the amount is high they will deal with the homeowner and contractors. To answer your question fences and plants are not cheap.

@hwmson0413 The amount of times people will pay out of pocket and then the other party will still submit to insurance is outstanding. NEVER pay out of pocket for damage in lieu of insurance. And should you decide to do it, you need to cover your butt with a signed release with proof of them signing it (ID), but again really recommend paying out of pocket for damages that are covered by your carrier.

@peopleperson9503 California. I just like to know whether it's better I pay out of pocket or just file the claim. I don't mind paying out of pocket if it ends up being the cheaper option.

But I think I also like to also question the $6,000 - would people suggest I try to negotiate with the owners?