The unrecoverable costs of buying a million dollar house now equate to around $1730 in rent a week

@thestarside Rent will never stop going up, because rates and insurance plus the cost of doing maintenance will never stop going up. Plus don't count on the fact that house prices will somehow hit a ceiling because average joes can't buy anymore. Corporate investors have bought up a lot of rental stock in the United States, and who's to say that won't happen here as well?

We think house prices are insane (as well as rent) but there is infinite money in the world and they could reach unfathomable heights still to come.

I never thought my neighbor's house would sell for $4 million when I moved in 10 years ago.

@thestarside Rents are indirectly set by rising outgoings. When it isn’t profitable for a residential rental to operate it generally gets converted to some other purpose such as redevelopment or short-stay accommodation. The resulting reduction in supply places upwards pressure on the rents for the remaining rentals.

@fadi215 I suspect that you didn’t read what I wrote.

Rising outgoings indirectly put upward pressure on rents because those rising outgoings have the effect of reducing the supply of rentals remaining in the market. That reduced supply - with no matching change in demand - is what creates the upward pressure.

@fola Or it gets sold to a first home buyer, reducing the demand for rental property, which then lowers market rent.

Again, look at the comprehensive reserve bank report that is backed up with a lot of data.