Thank you /r/Insurance!

jasonkuto313

I'm a 25 year old woman with 7 years driving experience. I've never had a moving violation of any kind, no accidents, and no claims. I drive a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek.

You guys helped me realize that I was paying way, way too much for insurance. $319 a month with Amica! By switching companies, I was able to get a policy with superior coverage for $85 a month with Geico. I'm also working on adding my newly licensed sister to the plan, which was absolutely unaffordable before. I know the premiums will increase after 6 months, but I will still come out way ahead.

So thank you all! I'm saving a truckload of money and feel better with the higher coverage too. I always felt like I was being robbed at my previous company as I admittedly take pride in being a careful, attentive driver yet was being charged triple what my uncle, who has had several at-fault accidents and a more expensive car, pays. I think my previous company just heavily penalizes younger drivers but I can't say that for sure.

In any case, thank you all!

@jasonkuto313 Glad the sub could help! Be sure to review your liability limits to make sure they are high enough. This sub generally recommends 100/300 limits but you may want to look even higher than that. It should only be a few bucks a month difference.

@calpastor And buy the extra $1mil of liability coverage through a personal umbrella for an extra $150-200/yr... A whopping $12.50-$16.50 extra per month.

@jasonkuto313 I’ve said this before but I used to work there and auto coverage is insanely expensive! Tried to get a quote for my boyfriend and it was over $400/month!! We’re both with Geico for auto and have Amica for home. It’s good service but some benefits aren’t worth the premium. Glad you’re saving money now!

@jasonkuto313 From what i understand, Amica is a very boutique type of carrier. They have very expensive plans for specific types of high end vehicles. Not sure why or how you started out with them. But glad to see a positive outcome posted!

@terryc Perhaps you are mistaking Amica for another carrier. Amica insured several of my not-so-high-end cars for many years, at reasonable rates.

@terryc Thanks! Not sure why you’re being downvoted.

They are small but they don’t usually do just luxury vehicles in my limited experience. I got them because my parents had them and had had great experiences with them. One drives a BMW but had a Chrysler before that. The other drives a mini.

Amica does seem to have a more boutique experience. Geico was more streamlined and automated. Definitely a different culture. I’m extremely happy with Geico so far though. I had a question and got ahold of an agent via email within ten minutes.

I feel a little silly for overpaying so much. I wasted a lot of money.

@jasonkuto313 That's awesome! Make sure you shop around for insurance every few years too. It doesn't hurt anything or get back to your current insurance carrier unless you don't tell your agent who you're with. :)

@jasonkuto313 On problem you might encounter is an unwillingness or pay out a valid claim with the lower priced companies (Geico, Progressive). You might contact your state Insurance Commissioner's office and see how they are rated in complaints vs. other companies. Often they have 2, 3, or even 4 times as many as the average insurance company.

@maryjosephine I did look into this. In my state at least the complaints are actually below average. I’ve also been careful to get everything in writing, which is general habit.

Though it could be a fight to get it potentially, a good thing about these rates is that I can now afford to have higher coverage. Also I come out far ahead even if I have to pay for my own rental car or other repairs to get my car back in service. Did some math and if I have the policy two months I’ve already saved enough to replace the windshield out of pocket.

@maryjosephine You are so right. Sorry you got downvoted. It's all fun and games thinking you "won" by getting the cheapest monthly payment... till you try to collect. Been there done that. Never again.