hmiranda03

Hello,

I see the question asked a lot as to which one should be maxed out first.

I see people say that the TFSA should be maxed first if your Retirement income with be more than your current salary. This is where my confusion comes in.

When this statement is said, what exactly is meant by this? Are they saying 'what will be your salary right at age 60-65 right before you retire? OR Are they saying 'how much money will you be pulling out of retirement yearly'?

End goal is to understand which one I should invest in first. Current salary is over 100k

@hmiranda03 The TFSA/RRSP trigger has good info to consider. I always have to add that the tilt goes to RRSPs for anyone who receives the Canada Child Benefit. CCB is based on your Adjusted Family Net Income, so reducing your net with RRSP contributions adds to your CCB. More kids gets you more "return" in CCB for reducing your net income. (It's not linear.)

@hmiranda03 What is meant by that is that the advantage of an rrsp is deferring your income so that when you withdraw it again, you are in a lower tax bracket.

Most people that “live on” $100K while working can live on less in retirement because their house is paid, and working costs money (you need work clothes, you buy more takeout because you’re busy etc). Many say you should aim for 70% of your working income in retirement.

With a lower income, you will not only pay less tax overall, you will likely pay tax at a lower marginal rate. At $100K the next dollar you earn will be taxed at say 35%. At $70K it might only be 25%.

So if you contribute $10K into your rrsp today (35% marginal tax rate), you’ll get $3500 back in “overpaid taxes”. Then when you withdraw it in retirements you’ll pay tax again, but only $2500. So you just got a “free” $1000.

At $100K income I would say you may still be better off putting it into tfsa but you would have to provide more details about your current income, expected income throughout your career, and expected income in retirement.

@resjudicata Not only that, but you're building equity on the tax you would have paid. It's invested so it's not a 1-1 ratio. You have 8% average compounding interest per year, you will be way out ahead even if you were taxed at the higher rate later by differing.

@hmiranda03 Look up what the marginal tax rate is in your province. That's the federal and provincial tax combined. For example here in Manitoba anything over $106,717 is taxed at 43.4%. so a good rule of thumb is anything you make above this number, buy a registered fund to offset the income tax. Again, as an example, if you make $115k, you could buy an $8,283 RRSP, and theoretically get back 43.4% of that, or $3594.82. That money could then be dumped into a TFSA. I used this rule of thumb, and it worked very well for growing both. The rub is that you need to be disciplined enough to put the return into the TFSA, and not spend it on other stuff. Best of luck.

@mwas This is how I pretty much handle my RRSP vs TFSA. Contribute enough that it brings back a tax return that allows for a maximum contribution to TFSA. Rinse and repeat.

The addition of FHSA throws a welcome monkey wrench into the tax benefit plan. Curious how it'll shake down during this year's return.

@hmiranda03 RRSP’s main benefit is the tax deferral. So you receive a refund of the taxes you paid on contributions but you pay taxes on the money when you withdraw.

If you income is higher when you withdraw then your are paying more taxes than what you were refunded on the contribution.

So, if you know your income is higher in retirement, thus a higher tax bracket, then a TFSA is better

Edit to add: at your salary you should contribute to your RRSP, you are in a pretty high tax bracket already. You can look at the combine fed/prob brackets and see what you need to contribute to drop down a level or two, then switch to TFSA is that is more advantageous.