Teaching how to grocery shop (best food for money)

mart1994

I'm rather passionate about tea hing families how to grocery shop for sucess. What's the biggest hurdles you face during your shop and how do you decide what to buy?

Hoping I can help some of you out!

@mart1994 We buy pretty much the same stuff.

Flour, teabags, petfood, toilet paper, tinned things, milk powder, cheese, and so on.

Meat is every few months, in bulk when on special and frozen.

I garden, but buy some stuff: onions for instance. I use the local veg shop, it's cheaper than any of the supermarkets. I do buy frozen peas and things though, that's not bad.

And it's easy these days, you don't even have to go in, look online and see who sells what cheapest.

Biught some shamppo and stuff from Warehouse a while ago, way cheaper than usual so stocked up a wee bit while it was.

I don't have a recipe in mind, then shop, I decide on it after selecting whatever it is I have in garden, or took from freezer.

@mart1994 Cheap, low carb and high protein meal ideas would be great. I'm aware of lentils being good but they're completely unused in my culture, so other than Dahl and a red pepper/beef stock spicy soup creation I don't really know what to do with them

@bk199 I've been trying to up my use of pulses and whole grains, but I only had curry recipes. I spent an afternoon googling every kind of bean & lentil looking for new recipes and came across pulses.org. It's got recipes from all kinds of cuisines, and you can limit search by legume type.

@mart1994 I find the countdown app really helpful. There is a tab where you can write your shopping list. If you set it to your local store, it sorts the items on the list by isle. This makes it easier for me to make sure I haven't missed anything and minimise wandering on every isle and being tempted by non-essential items.