anna

Hello, i cant figure out how stocks are taxed in CH. The internet is giving vague answers. I am Danish but with swiss citizenship, i’m considering a move to canton Neuchatel. How are stocks taxed?

In denmark its 42%..

Thank you

@anna Vested stocks as part of your company compensation package are taxed like normal income.
Capital gains however are not taxable.

@anna No tax on capital gains, but it counts as fortune so you declare it as such and it's taxed on the value (very tiny compared to income tax).

Dividends are taxed though, regardless whether they are accumulating or distributing.

@meshak2 You can make a capital gain of 50,000 and sell without paying any tax. I think that most other governments in the world impose a tax in this situation.

For example, in France you will pay 9,500. America will pay 7,500 and in Germany 12500.

Note: The numbers are just examples. But it explains why my friends in these countries consider me residing in a tax paradise...

@anna Search for mustachian posts about tax on dividends/stocks in Switzerland, or thepoorswiss on the same subject. They explain well all the details. The big picture is as other people mentioned in comments, no tax on capital gains if you are not a professional investor, and tax on dividends depending on their source.

@anna 0% on capital gain, however dividend are added to your work income and taxed as such. Moreover, we have one of the highest wealth taxes of the world, but it varies a lot depending on the Canton (0.02% in OW up to 0.79% in BS).

@anna "how are stocks taxed" doesn't even mean anything. capital gains? dividends and interest payments? wealth tax? what are you looking for?

@anna capital gains are not taxed unless you qualify as a professional investor

wealth tax is still due (% depending on the Canton)

dividends are taxed the same as any other income