Tax treatment of renting rooms to flatmates in your primary residence? Claiming tax back.

susier

Like many first-home buyers, I've had to bring in a flatmate to help pay the bills. With the tax year ending, I'd like to share how taxes apply to this situation as few people seem to be aware. If you do not report the rental income or apply the often-misquoted tax-free threshold of $222 pp p/w, you may actually be leaving money on the table.

Anyone renting part of their main home must pay tax on rental profits, the $222 pp p/w threshold is just a standard deduction that the IRD provides for boarders (modelled on estimated expenses). The tax treatment of boarders and flatmates is the same, you must pay tax on profit after you deduct expenses. If the apportioned expenses exceed the rental income, you can reduce your taxable income and claim tax back. The residential ring-fencing rule does not apply to your main home. You can also deduct 100% of the interest (apportioned to the income) as the interest limitation rules also don't apply.

This is all set out in this IRD document - with handy examples to help you understand how to apportion expenses and deduct chattels. It is easy enough to do but will take you some time to set up. You shouldn't need an accountant to do it.

On a technical note, you declare the net income in MyIR through the "other rental income" category on your IR3 (you can attach a supplementary IR3R that sets out your numbers). This prevents the system from automatically applying the ring-fencing rule and carrying forward the rental loss.

Thanks again to u/lsohtfal who pointed this out to me.

----------//----------

I was asked by @bobbyrexxy2 to provide an example:

Here are our assumptions:
  • Rent of $350 per week for the full year.
  • Total floor space 80m2: Landlord Exclusive 20m2, Tenant Exclusive 20m2, Shared 40m2.
  • $625k mortgage at 7.39%: $998 mortgage per week: Total interest cost in Year 1= $45,537.
  • Insurance is included in body corporate fees of $5.5k. Rates: $3.5k.
  • You purchased the home, moved in, and brought chattels on 1 April 2023.
To calculate the percentage of share expenses that are deductible you apportion them by floor space using this formula:

((Tenant Exclusive) + (50% of the shared area)) divided by (Total floor space).

((20)+(0.5*40))/80 = 50%.

This means that you can apportion 50% of shared expenses to the rental income.

Table One: Mixed Expenses apportioned by floor space calculation

Expenses
Total Cost
Deductible

Mortgage Interest
$45537
$22748.50

Body Corporate Fees
$5500
$2750

Rates
$300
$1500

Sub Total Deductible

$27018.50

You can also claim deductions for 'Repairs and Maintenance', 'Other Expenses’, and 'Depreciation'. I've used the same headings as the IR3R form. Note the apportionment of these costs defaults to 50% to reflect the shared private and business use. This number matching our floor space calculation is a coincidence. However, where the actual use of the asset can be clearly demonstrated, an alternative basis may be adopted if it reflects a reasonable basis for apportionment i.e. the portable heater coming up.

Firstly let's deal with low value assets (less than $1,000). The IRD allows shared low value assets to be treated as an 'Other Expense' and written off in full in the first year. Remember everything is deductible even your cutlery. Where you haven't purchased the item (or was previously for private use only), you can provide an estimated market value. You are required to be able to justify this by showing TradeMe listings for example.

Table Two: Other Expenses apportioned by business use

Other Expenses
Total Cost
Business Use
Deductible

Portable Heater (for tenant's room)
$130
100%
$130

Flash toaster
$250
50%
$125

Not so flash microwave
$100
50%
$50

Sub Total Deductible

$305

Note: While I haven't demonstrated how to account for 'Repairs and maintenance' you treat this the same as above.

It's time for 'Depreciation". You have to depreciate assets over $1,000 over multiple years. I prefer to use the Diminishing Value method because I don't intend to have a flatmate long-term and this method allows you to write off the value quicker.

For the first line item let's assume that you had a valuation done before settlement which valued the existing chattels i.e. carpets and curtains, but did not provide a specific breakdown. Use the online Depreciation rate finder and calculator to look up the specific asset class and plug in your values and it calculates it all for you.

Table Three: Depreciation apportioned by business use

Depreciation
Total Cost
Total Deprecitated
Business Use
Deductible
Closing Value

Existing Chattels (default class - 40% DV)
$1000
$4000
50%
$2000
$6000

Washer Dryer (30% DV)
$1200
$360
50%
$180
$840

Living Room Furniture (20% DV)
$2000
$400
50%
$200
$1600

Sub Total Deductible

$2380

Now that we have calculated our 'Expenses', 'Other Expenses', and 'Depreciation', we put it all together to calculate our Net Rental Income.

Table Four: Net Rental Income Statement

Income: $18200

Expenses: $27015.50

Other Expenses: $305

Depreciation: $2380

Net Rental Income: ($11503.50)

Congratulations. You've made a loss.

This should demonstrate that it's easy to be in a situation where you are making a loss from renting a room in your house to a tenant. Once you've got this number you add it to your IR3 as 'Other rental income'. The rental loss will reduce your overall taxable income and IRD will automatically calculate your refund.

As a rule of thumb, you'll get back (the loss) x (marginal tax rate). For example, if you had a marginal tax rate of 33% using these numbers you'd get approximately $3800 back.

If you wish you had known this sooner, don’t worry! You can go back and amend previous years' returns with minimal fuss. Just call the IRD and tell them that you need to amend your return to declare other rental income. You may have to ask them to go away and read QB 23/08 so that they can figure out what you’re trying to do.

@susier This sub cracks me up sometimes.

There’s a post a couple below this one asking for maths help to work out how much to buy the 2 brothers out of 2 properties on a limited income. Out of the 18 replies, 12 are shitposts and of the 6 answers 4 of them are totally wrong. 1 was kinda wrong now corrected and 1 bang on correct. So you have to sift through chaff to get wheat.

This post is an astonishingly helpful post explaining the intricacies of a question that comes up a lot & I’d wager not many actually knew about. Especially the exemptions around interest deductibility & ring fencing. Good on you OP for posting it. At least it’s searchable now. Straight to the wheat.
Hardly any comments.

The only thing that caught my attention is the 50% land use, which might catch some people out with smaller houses on bigger sections. In fact most Council district plans won’t let you build more than 50% site coverage excluding high density. How does that work in practise? Have I misunderstood that?

@onthepathtogod Thanks mate, I've been umming and ahhing about whether to post this. I hope some people read it and get some value out of it, I know my circle of friends has!

My interpretation of the 50% land use rule is a bit different, I read it that if there's more than one use of a single property i.e. small business; then more than 50% of the land must be allocated to the residence. The IRD document has this line that I think backs up what I am saying "It is likely an owner will be able to satisfy the space threshold if the land contains a single dwelling." Thoughts?

I should say that I saw that other post and was cracking up about the guy's efforts (or lack of!) to protect his anonymity.

I think the rule is also designed to stop someone living in a minor dwelling on a property and renting out the main house being able to claim the exemption from ring-fencing.

@onthepathtogod Yeah, it's definitely ambigious, but if you look at it from base principles: why would the tax treatment be different for a smaller house on a larger section? Especially as you say some councils require less than 50% land usage.

@susier They don’t give any land size in the example only dwelling size. You’re right though I think, practically this would only apply to high density land use so way too restrictive, defeats the purpose.

@onthepathtogod I made a post a year and a half ago about the issues you brought up, the mods essentially said they didn’t care and didn’t want to shut down “engagement”. It’s probably better to think of this sub as “CasualfinancechatsNZ”.

@psalm24 That’s a bit of a shame because there’s some really knowledgeable posters here & a lot of useful information.

I’m a bit shy to post these days unless I absolutely know what I’m talking about or asking questions

@johnson29 The document that I linked has a bunch of good examples at the back. But here's a quick run down:

For shared expenses i.e. mortgage interest, rates, and insurance: you calculate the floor space used to derive the rental income (100% for renter(s)-exclusive areas, 50% for shared areas, 0% for landlord-exclusive use) and use this percentage to apportion your shared expenses to the rental income. Note: the rental interest limitation rules do not apply to the main home so you can deduct 100% of interest costs apportioned to the rental income.

You can also depreciate your chattels and claim a tax deduction. 100% of renter-exclusive chattels, and 50% of shared chattels i.e. curtains, carpet, and furniture, but also things like crockery and cutlery. Use the low-value asset rule (less than $1000) to deduct the full value in Y1 and manage a depreciation schedule for anything over $1000. Expenses like repairs and maintenance can also be deducted.

@susier Thanks for that. A bit to get my head around, I'm not great with stuff like this. I'll have a read of the link you posted tomorrow when my brains a bit fresher ! Good info and thank you for sharing it!

@susier Thanks for the post. To help me (and possibly others) understand, if you have time, would you be able to show the worked difference between the boarder method and what you’re outlining?
Eg a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom townhouse, 1 bed room rented and the bathroom and living areas all shared. Let’s say it’s 80m2. Mortgage $1100 per week for the total property. Market rent for 1 bedroom would be $350.