Tax help for an Australian living in Japan - working remotely for an Australian company

@sammylove
  1. Is your accountant thoroughly familiar with the tax treaty? rules on residency are right in it: https://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asia-paci/australia/agree0801.pdf
  2. I'm neither a lawyer nor your lawyer, but I'd wager quite a bit that you're a resident of Japan for tax purposes (https://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-...istance/tax-residency/Japan-Tax-Residency.pdf).
  3. since you were doing the work while in Japan, you owe Japan income taxes.
  4. You should not owe income taxes to Australia because you owe them to Japan, but if there's something wonky where you pay both taxes, you should get a tax credit making it so that you only end up paying basically the higher of the two tax obligations (with the caveat that they may not recognize all of the deductions that the other grants).
I've got not idea how you fix this on either end, but I would say as an American that unlike the IRS the NTA in Japan will basically guide you through doing your taxes. In your situation though professional help might be advisable to avoid fees or other repercussions.

@hark Thank you very much for your reply. I may need to find another accountant that is well versed in the tax treaty between Australia and Japan, or maybe find one here in Japan instead. Sounds like I've definitely been doing it wrong until now though.

@sammylove I think the trick to resolving this kind of issue is to keep coming back to the fact that you cannot simultaneously be a tax resident of both Japan and Australia. This simple fact (derived from the tax treaty) can give rise to a lot of confusion, because each country has their own separate tax residency test, and it's quite possible that you satisfy both those tests.

In other words, if you ask the ATO (or an Australian accountant) whether you are a tax resident of Australia, based on your general circumstances, they might say "yes". But if you explain that you also satisfy Japan's test for residency, they might say "no", because they (should) know that you cannot be a tax resident of both countries simultaneously.

If both the ATO and the NTA insist that you are a tax resident of their respective countries, then you need to initiate a formal tie-breaking process whereby the two agencies negotiate with each other to decide which country you are a tax resident of. This only tends to be required in extremely complex situations though, and I doubt it would be necessary in your case.

Until you've worked out which of the two countries you are actually a tax resident of, and you have agreement on that issue from both sides (either tax agencies or accountants), it's impossible to work out where or how you should be paying tax.

Tax residency depends on a lot of variables, but my instinct from from what you've written is that–while you may satisfy both the Australian and Japanese tests for tax residency–you would ultimately be found to be a Japanese tax resident rather than an Australian one. If that's the case, then you just need to work out which country is supposed to be taxing your income, under the treaty.

The answer to this will depend on exactly what kind of income it is and who you are receiving it from, but if the income you are earning is employment income (i.e., you are in an employer/employee relationship with your payer), then Japan will have sole taxation rights over that income (since it will be "Japan-source income"). It's also worth noting that your Australian employer could have Japanese corporate tax liability as a result of their employee (you) residing in Japan. But assuming they know you are in Japan, perhaps they have examined this possibility and determined that it doesn't apply to them.

Incidentally, a quick search of the ATO website turned up this exchange in their community forum. It deals with a situation in which an Australian employee relocates to Japan that may be similar to yours. And as you will see from the thread, even ATO staff get confused by the concept of income sourcing under tax treaties, with one ATO staff member saying the income is "Australia-source" and then a different ATO staff member correcting them by clarifying that it is actually "Japan-source".

There is a temptation to think (as the first ATO staff member in that thread perhaps did) that if the employer is located in Australia then the income must be "Australia-source" (this may even be the same mistake that the NTA staff member you spoke to made). But that is not how income sourcing generally works under tax treaties.

can I retroactively get a tax refund from Australia as well?

Japan gives individuals five years to amend their tax returns and Australia gives individuals two years, so if necessary, you probably have time to file amended returns in both countries.

@kristhuy Appreciate the response, thanks!

Yeah that's why this is so confusing, my Australian accountant told me that I'm still an Australian resident for tax purposes, which meant that I should continue doing what I was doing. But everyone here is saying that I'm automatically a Japanese resident for tax purposes because I'm living in Japan and working here (even though its remote work). My income is indeed employment income.

If the ATO and the NTA both get confused, it's no wonder I've messed this up so much! Haha.

Japan gives individuals five years to amend their tax returns and Australia gives individuals two years, so if necessary, you probably have time to file amended returns in both countries.

Great, I knew about the 2 years in Australia but didn't know about the 5 years for Japan, at least I have some time to work this all out.

@sammylove Replying here as I believe it may be useful to keep this info here for future reference.

The Australian tax residency rules are unnecessarily complex and so you need to go through a thorough assessment of all your circumstances to be able to accurately assess your residency. One or two factors alone will not determine your residency but rather all of your circumstances. It ultimately comes down to your intention. The last few years has been unlike no other so no doubt it will be even more confusing. To further confuse things, the Australian government has flagged a change in tax residency so it's likely to change in the upcoming years.

From an Australian tax perspective - if you have established your residence and domicile outside of Australia, it's hard to argue that you are still an Australian tax resident. In your case OP, since you are earning Australian sourced income - notwithstanding your residency status, you must pay tax in Australia (as it's Australian sourced). By classifying as a non-resident in Australia you miss out on reduced tax rates and the tax free threshold.

If you have any further questions OP or still need some clarification - do not hesitate to reach out.

@sammylove If you want to go legit, your company can use an “EoR” or employer of record service provider. The provider acts as your legal employer, taking care of your contract, payroll, benefits, expense reimbursement, etc. Your company in Australia manages your work. No tax or legal risks for you or your company. DM me if you want to learn more.

@sammylove Whatever works for you. As things stand, you’re spending time and effort figuring out important things that could be taken care of smoothly on your behalf. We currently have 100+ people in Japan and operate in 187 countries globally. We’re in Australia, too, of course.