digitalchaos

All these while, I've been filing my income tax by myself.

As been told by my old parents, they told me that my gross income is the figure u get from ur salary.

Eg 5k x 12 = 60k

then i will put 60k into gross income column in lhdn when i file them.

however, lately, after watching Ziet vid on tax filing, he mentioned the gross income is actually ur salary after EPF deductions???

So I'm very confused. Which will be the gross income?

Salary before EPF deductions or Salary after EPF deductions?

@digitalchaos Will be gross salary ie. 60k before EPF deduction which as the other redditor mentioned is the first line in your EA form. The employee EPF deduction is deductible only up to RM4k under EPF tax relief line.

@digitalchaos Maksud “gaji kasar

Gaji kasar pula adalah gaji asas yang dicampur dengan segala elaun tambahan, tetapi belum ditolak segala potongan atau caruman.

Do you have EA form? its the first line.

@digitalchaos He was quite confusing in his description.

He shouldn't be using terms like gross salary and take home pay as he did in the video.

Statutory income from employment is the amount you get as indicated in your payslips for the applicable year before all deductions.

When he meant "take home pay" in his video, he actually meant Chargeable Income.

Chargeable income is derived from Total Income minus tax reliefs applicable (which includes EPF contributions) hence his shortcut explanation, which resulted in your confusion.

@liorex He is a YouTuber who isn’t really knowledgable but pretends to be one by making videos on how to do this and that.

Best to stay away if you are looking for much more in depth details

@digitalchaos If you're having a salary, you should have your EA form, just follow the amount on there, which is basically all gross income + allowance + bonus BEFORE any deductions need to be on your tax filing.

@digitalchaos Before EPF deductions.

Including allowances (unless it's tax exempted).

If you have an EA form, you can follow the numbers there, but double check that it's correct first.

@digitalchaos Your gross income should be before any deduction, this also includes if you have any other source of income and donation. If you get EA form from your employer, should be easier, just fill in according to EA form.

Then there is section where you can fill in your perkeso and epf, the system will deduct from there.