Tax Filing Question for Foreign Income

marcx

I'm working in Sg and remit part of my salary back monthly in 2023. There is this new income tax law gazetted in 2021 that foreign source income include employment remit back to MY subjected to tax, however it's exempted from 2022 to 2026.

My questions
1) Do I still need to file my remittance in my eBE (even it's exempted now) under the tax exempt income from source outside from Malaysia column?
2) The income from SG already taxable and we can claim back tax deductible in EBE, however do we claim all the tax amount incurred by SG or only the tax amount of the sum that I remit back?

Its confusing if I should file this column or not. Every year I'm filing 0. The reason that I'm still filing because I never close my tax account and I also acquire/dispose properties in MY so a tax account number is helpful when I declare it to LHDN.

@marcx U living in sibgapore full time technically ur not msia tax resident

For now u dont need to file. U actually should go back to msia and ask to close the irb file form cp21.

@marcx Foreign sourced income(FSI) remitted back to M'sia are exempted from tax in M'sia (until 2026) as long as the income has been taxed in the country of origin.

Since your employment income has already been taxed in Singapore it will not be taxed here but you still need to declare it in your tax return.