esta25

Good morning!!

I have a question regarding T2200 and T777 forms. This past May my collective bargaining agreement with LiUNA local 183 was renewed and in it gave us the ability to file a T2200. My research has told me that I would need to file a T777 with my company and they would review it and then give me a T2200. I can only claim what is included in the T2200 which is why I would submit the T777 to them first…

Does anyone have any knowledge of this and what the process is of it…I’ve done some research but have heard conflicting statements from the union, management and coworkers.

They have said if I want a T2200 then I would need to formally submit an email to my supervisor asking for one and that they would then pass that onto HR who would then send me it…with no mention of a T777. I get the vibe from my employer that they don’t quite understand the process and have such a small HR that the request from 200 employees would swamp them. My supervisor keeps saying it’s not worth it to file one but he would issue a T2200 if I want one, again, without any knowledge of my expenses on the T777. And I can only submit a T2200 based on what my employer indicates on it…

My employer and supervisor keep saying that because I don’t use my car for work then I can’t claim any vehicle expenses but I’ve heard conflicting statements.

Am I able to claim mileage to and from work, work gear such as boots? Any insight would be helpful as my employer is not being helpful in this process.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I understand this is a r/Ontario sub, if this is not the right place for this please let me know where I could share this to get further information. Thank you!!

@esta25 Im a trades person as well, as far as i know. You cant claim driving to and from work unless it is used as a “work vehicle”. Driving to and from work is not considered a “work vehicle”. For form T7777 you can claim any work clothes and tools that were purchased for the job as long as you kept the receipts.

@esta25 You don’t need to submit them your T777 in order to get a T2200. You ask them for a T2200, which entitles you to file a T777 with your own taxes and deduct a few expenses. You can only take car expenses if you use your car to go from your employer usual business place to a worksite, not from your house to your employer and vice versa.

For the tools deduction, you can claim 500$ or the cost of your tools minus 1287$, the lower of the two.

The Employment Expenses 2022 page on the CRA website is well done, chapter 7 is for you.