Switched from Swissquote to IBRK in January, didn't get a letter from Calida. What did I do wrong?

sue782

I sold the shares at Swissquote and just bought them again on IBRK. I remember that you had to fill out some form on Swissquote, I don't know where I can find it on IBRK. I filled out everything that I could find, yet it didn't work and my better half is bummed.... lol.

On that topic, am I the only one that is very overwhelmed by the amount of customisation/bad UI at IBRK? I can't even find out my account number easily for taxes next year, or find out if I have a EUR/CHF/USD account, like they were properly listed on Swissquote.

Thanks for your help guys!

@sue782 also interested because I did the same thing (sell on SWQ buy same number on IBKR 1 day later)

I think it doesn't matter, assets aren't tied to account in the declaration, the assets on 31.12. don't change and there is no effect on dividends (unless there was an ex dividend date just between selling and buying)

@sue782 in the process of doing the same (sell everything on SWQ buy again on IBKR)

so I'll just ask here: does anyone happen to know a free or very cheap broker/bank where one can register Swiss stocks?

I don't think shares can be registered in the Swiss Aktienregister via IBKR so no point in re-buying Calida there

I would like to keep them but obviously do not want to keep the SWQ account and pay over 80 Fr./a to SWQ just for that

@brandonhi Just to prevent you from making the same mistake, it doesn't seem possible and a good hour of googling and looking around on the mustachian post only suggests DKB (a german broker), but you need like 700 income a month so the account is free and whatnot,
TLDR: too complicated for me to get that one pyjama once a year.

You can do it on IBKR, but it costs 300.- to register (and if I understood it 300.- again to deregister so you can sell it).

Still thinking about registering it as I will probably keep them for another 40 years as I'm not even 30 years old.

I now have Calida shares in the loss right now, while I originally bought them on SQ for like 25 and watched them rise to almost 60 CHF. Fuck.

Edit: Just asked the father of my godson to open a free depot at his sons name, because he works for a bank, and he will just give me the letter for the dividend. xD

@sue782 You have to fill out the form "Generelle Eintragungsermächtigung" to have shares registered in your name. Also inform IBKR that you would like to have shares split by two in your and your wife's name. That's for the future. For this year's Calida letter, contact Calida's investor's department. They will let you know what kind of proof/forms they need to send you the letter.

@jimbigheart Is this the name of a document provided by IBKR?
To my knowledge they did registrations in the shareholders register in the past only in certain cases and for quite a high fee.

@jimbigheart Can you elaborate on this? Where would I find it on IB? All I see points in the direction that they don’t provide this service (although the infos I found online were from some years ago). Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't know that IBKR doesn't offer this service. Neither could I imagine that this service could cost something. Normal banks (not online banks) offer this service. And IMO it should be the right of every shareholder to be registered. At least for Swiss shares.

@sue782 That's what the others mentioned, but I would give IBRK a call to clarify. IMO this service HAS to be delivered for Swiss shares. I know it is unusual for other stock markets, but within Switzerland it should work without any higher costs.

@sue782 Your shares will not be registered in your name with ibkr. They‘re all registered in your brokers name, that‘s one reason they are so cheap. Good for trading and ETFs, bad for buy-and-hold if you want invitations to general assemblies or presents (like the swatch for shareholders or calida pyjama)

@wassa78 Plain misinformation. IBKR is regulated in more countries than Swissquote and you can actually opt to have shares in your name IF you pay for it.

It is completely pointless, conspiracy-adherent bullshit to do so though. Your shares are held separately from the broker’s assets and in case of bankruptcy nothing would happen. There is zero real world advantage to have them in your name.

IBKR is regulated in UK, USA, Luxembourg and Switzerland vs. Only Switzerland for Swissquote. Not to mention that it’s larger by a factor of 50x. And if you think that the Swiss air makes Swiss banks more solid, just remember what happened to CS last year.

Also, If you want to have your money in a more traditional bank (nothing wrong with that), then Swissquote makes no sense. You should open a custody account with a cantonal bank and move your positions there.

@sheep4christ
And if you think that the Swiss air makes Swiss banks more solid, just remember what happened to CS last year

You could argue, though, that the two banks that had to be bailed out were UBS and CS, which, incidentally, were also the only large banks where non-Swiss dominated everything.

Just saying.

@sheep4christ „Grundsaetzlich werden alle Wertpapier in Namen von IBLLC gehalten.

Falls ein Kunde an der Generalversammlung teilnehmen moechte, stellt IBKR eine Haltebestaetigung aus. Mit dieser kann der Kunde die Investor Relation Abteilung des jeweiligen Unternehmen kontaktieren. In einigen Faellen benoetigen die Gesellschaften die Eintragung des Kunden im Aktienregister. In solchen Faellen bietet IBKR die Eintragung Schweizer Aktien an. Die Gebuehren fuer die Eintragung Schweizeraktien sind CHF 300.“

It has nothing to do with conspiracy theories. I know they are not on the balance sheet of the broker, but they are held in the name if IBKR.

If you own a share of Lindt, you might want to register your shares for the chocolate box.