Suspected condominium overcharging?

chickenlittle

What steps can I take to confirm my suspicions that my condominium is overcharging my electricity bill?

I’m a post grad student residing in Ermita, Manila.
I live alone, renting a 37 sqm studio type condo. The condominium does not give us the meralco bill, but gives a unified billing statement complete with association dues, electricity, water and other fees. I have noticed that the electricity bill is way too high with my observed electric consumption. The following are the details of my electric consumption
  • living alone
  • staying in the area 5-6 times a week
  • I have class and multiple meetings everyday so the only time I use the condo is from around 6 pm to 7 am when I leave. Half the time, I don’t even sleep in the condo as my girlfriend also resides in the area as we opt to study together and sleep in her place half the week.
  • refrigerator - 0.08 kW - 24 hrs
  • aircon - 1.885 kW - sometimes on from 6 pm to 7 pm, I’d say around 4 days a week MAX. Other days I don’t turn it on, or have shorter times (say 11 pm-7 am etc)
  • water heater (only heats water when water tap is running) - 8 kW
Also from experience living in a condo with the rest of my family of 7 in bgc, we rack up about up to 10k in electricity bills, but here in Manila, alone, with the above details, my bill has been hovering around 6k. Furthermore, there were two outlier months where I wasn’t even in the condo that much (summer break) and my bill went up to 12 and even 15k. Additionally, when I actually was in the condo, my bill went one month of 800 pesos. Help please, this has been so frustrating as I do not want to pay my bills wrongly, but also do not want to delay payment because I am busy with other more important things... do I need to report this somewhere? I’ve already contacted the administration but they refuse to address my concerns, insisting that if the meter reading (which they do themselves) is certified by the officiating company, then the meter must be right. Am I just delusional and an electricity guzzler? Gah

@chickenlittle Something is definitely wrong. We also rent (apartment). Ref, TV almost 16 hours a day all week, microwave, washing machine thrice a week, water heater, water dispenser (hot,cold) and two aircons. One running from 7am to 7pm and the other running 7pm to 7am. Our bill ranges from 4-7k. Peaked at 8k last summer. This is on a commercial rate meter so should be same as yours. I would definitely push this up higher. If the admin doesn't budge, bring it up with Meralco directly or maybe even ERC or DOE maybe?

Have you tested not turning on any electronics for one cycle? Maybe stay with your GF if possible for one billing period with everything turned off and see what happens. That is, if it's not too much trouble.

@elam84 Her dad will kill me! Hahaha but thanks so much for the answer. I will definitely look into bringing it higher. They just cut my electricity off today! Conveniently after office hours too...

@chickenlittle Do you use other electrical devices/appliances? Maybe something else that you haven't accounted for is consistently running? I suggest you do a thorough check of EVERYTHING that can add up to your electricity bill.

IF you've done all this and there is still a problem, I suggest you bring it to the management of your condominium.

@resjudicata Here is the list of ALL of my appliances that I have regularly used

-air con
-ref
-washing machine (1-2 times a month)
-heater
-WiFi
-3 led lights
-1 led desk lamp
-tv (30 mins every day to every other day)
-cable box
-water purifier
-charging devices
-microwave

That’s it... unfortunately after checking their respective wattages and computing for my kWh I see no reason why my bill would reach these levels (especially 15000???). My problem is I don’t know how to elevate my complaint (I have already brought this up to management twice - to no resolution aside from their claim of changing the meter). Is there a way I can check the actual meter reading myself?

@chickenlittle
Is there a way I can check the actual meter reading myself?

Well of course, you really just have to ask where it is so you can look at it. You should also be able to request for the meralco bill since it's your right.

If they are hesitant with you doing any of these, that's a glaring sign that they're overcharging

@resjudicata Thanks for this. To clarify, I want to ask for the official meralco bill (orange billing statement with meralco letterhead), and any denial of this request on their part is a red flag.

Say that they do deny my request, will I be able to take this up with meralco itself for a copy of the bill?