surveying millennials (or anyone) - reasons why would you not want to invest in a property

@izakmiles I donā€™t have money for downpayment yet and I also donā€™t know exactly where to settle. Also thinking of migrating so idk medyo undecided pa for now :(

@izakmiles It's not as cheap as it used to be -- at least in proportion to the people's salary these days. The property prices has gone up way too much for the past decade and it's almost impossible to gain 100% anymore since people can only afford so much, unless you bought it at a "sacrificial" rate.

@izakmiles Cant afford. with the net worth im at i really cant afford to lock up most of it in real estate. Turnover and growth is slow too. Better to go into a small business rn for me

@izakmiles Everything has the potential to appreciate. It's about your investment portfolio and your goals with it.

If you want to live near the main business districts to avoid traffic, it will cost you tens of millions of PHP. Unless you're extremely wealthy, that will be a supermajority of your capital (let's say 80-90%) tied up in an illiquid asset.

You may prefer to put that capital in something more liquid that can also appreciate faster (opportunity cost) which will allow you to cover your living expenses while still saving and compounding.

Maybe you're single and travel regularly, you can afford to rent a nice apartment (rental yields in Manila CBD are single digits vs. purchase price for the same apartment) while compounding a large portion of your capital in faster-growing opportunities which can cover your lifestyle.

If you don't want to live near the main business districts, you can pay less for a house and lot but you'll have to commute 2-3 hours unless you're lucky enough to work from home. For some people that makes sense, but not for all.

@izakmiles Investing in real estate, especially idle lands, is a bit risky if they aren't titled. You also need to spend for the maintainance at the same time.

@izakmiles I'm in Australia so might be different but kung ngayon ako bibili, average yield on residential rentals is around 4 to 5 percent. Then bawas pa management fee (called strata here) kung apartments, agents fee ng magmamanage, council tax, then maybe 10 to 20 percent for fixing stuff (could also be 0 kung wala masisira), mortgage interest and so on.

Sa ETF where I'm currently invested (VGS), past 5 years average return is 13 percent. Wala kang iisipin na.

@izakmiles initially thinking of farm lot. ung iba ang mahal na, tas
ung mura nasa liblib

to generate income, i need to invest more to develop it and hire people i can trust - mahirap maghanap, kasambahay nga lang hirap na makahanap. and need syempre time - if part time sana may kapalitan to look after it if di ako pwede. which is wala šŸ¤·

and if di naman idevelop to generate income, mahirap if may mag occupy ng land, gagastos ulit para mapaalis.