Successfully negotiated a $50 rental decrease today - thought I’d share my method

liltoancau

Hi folks,

We were rebuffed earlier this year when we went to our landlord asking for a permanent rent reduction - they offered $10 off our existing rent of $530 p/w IF we signed on for 12 months.

Needless to say that was a hard pass from us. We decided to wait until late in the year for the market to get worse. In a spot of luck, one of the exact same units came on the market around the corner and has sat empty, originally at $550, and now at $500 with no takers.

Pre-work: I assessed places in the neighbourhood, right across the suburb and the one next door. Thanks to KoalaData extension on Domain I was able to keep a close eye on time on market and price drops.

Last week I called around agents asking about places within the block. I confirmed availability and whether the owner was open to offers, and how low they might go. All the properties were open to offers, with a 3 bed willing to drop to $550 the biggest deal - and only a few doors down.

The email: we had aimed for the heart strings but this time we went for the purse strings. I made sure our case was clear and calculated the loss they’d face with us moving. I made it clear there was a high chance of us moving and by adding the vacancy lengths for other properties I was able to support the likelihood they’d be out of pocket more than the cost of reducing the rent. I didn’t offer to sign on for another year, I just paid out the reality of the situation.

Here’s the email, with addresses removed:

Dear [property manager],

Thank you for speaking with me last week. As discussed, I'm writing to request an ongoing reduction to the rent for [our property]. We previously requested a reduction in May, and were offered a $10 reduction with a 12-month contract, which we declined as this offered us little relief.

The rental market has changed considerably since our last request, and [info about our situation]. In light of our need to reduce costs, and the new realities of the rental market, we now believe a new rental rate is appropriate for this property.

We believe a new rate of $480 p/week is reasonable - based on the following properties:

[Property 1]. This is exactly the same unit as this one in the same complex, more modern, with some appliances supplied.
Rent: $500 P/W
Day on market: On market 26 days at $500 P/W, 103 days at $550 P/W. Owners are open to a lower offer.

[Property 2]. Two bedroom house with modern bathrooms and air conditioning.
Rent: $480 P/W
Days on market: one year.

[Property 3]. A three bedroom house, older but partially refurbished.
Rent: $590 P/W advertised.
Days on market: on market 19 days at $590 P/W, 189 days in total. aowners are happy to accept $550 P/W

[Property 4, slightly further away]: Modern, light-filled two bedroom house with two bathrooms.
Rent: $525 P/W advertised. Happy to accept lower offers
Days on market: on market 60 days at $525 P/W, 144 days at $550 P/W

These are just a few examples that demonstrate the market has shifted, including one that is the same unit as this one. We have also discussed with fellow residents within [our suburb] to confirm the current market - the vast majority have negotiated reductions this year.

A rental rate of $480 P/W is significantly less than the costs involved should we vacate this property. If this property stays empty for 4 weeks it would cost our landlords $2,120 + leasing fee at the current rent at least. It is likely the property would be empty for more than four weeks, so this is a best-case scenario. A reduction of $50 P/W would cost $2,600 annually by comparison.

If we cannot secure a reasonable reduction in rent to bring the property in line with the current rental market, we may need to look at other options at today's market rate.

Kind regards,

[my name]

A week later we received confirmation that the landlord was accepting our proposal, and we’re asked if we want to sign on for 12 months - but that’s optional.

To be honest I expected to get $500 back as a counter and would have been ok with that, so we could have pushed a little lower in hindsight. This is, however, an outstanding result and will benefit us immensely. We didn’t want to move, so this was a great result in that sense too.

My advice is to know your market well and present the facts in a straightforward manner - the market has changed and if that’s the case in your area, similar research may help.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. I might just buy a flat white today to celebrate. Happy to answer any other questions - this is just my experience, YMMV.

@liltoancau This is a great email. It presents them with all of the facts to make their decisions, and show how you came to yours. It isn’t emotional and is also importantly, reasonable. Great work.

@sabott Thanks - probably took around 2-2.5 hours to craft the email, plus revisions from my wife, who helped smooth a couple of points. I felt the straight financials were important because in the end, it’s stone cold data and you can’t argue with that. We were fortunate that the place around the corner was up, and I kept a close to make sure it wasn’t down, because that was the most obvious comparison.

We weren’t trying to strong arm the landlord - in the end, they have their choices and we have ours. Just glad it worked out quickly.

@liltoancau We bought some land earlier in the year and got a decent discount using similar method. We talked to the agent and showed similar blocks of land that simply weren't selling at the asking rate. Our first preference block wasn't willing to budge, so we went down the road and tried one of the other blocks. They were willing to negotiate down considerably and met us at a price we were happier with. We couldn't afford to build a house at the higher price, so we were not emptily explaining to the owners that we were not willing to pay the asking price, and in the end following through got us where we wanted.

We plan on trying for a rental reduction and a 6 month, or less lease, when our current lease ends, in January, as our new house is not expected to be finished until July at the earliest. Similar to you- there 're a few vacancies in the area that have been hanging around at a price lower than we currently pay. Worst case, we can move in with my wife's family for a fee months if it doesn't work- but you don't know if you don't try.

It isn't about being ballsy, or ruthless or agressive- for us it is just honestly and politely building the case for why we think our request is reasonable, and understanding that if it doesn't go our way we may need to flow through with our plan b to make sure that we can afford what we are after.

@liltoancau Great work! I have been wanting to negotiate our rental rates for few months and this gives us pointers.

Would it be ok to use the email you sent to your agent as a template for ours ?

Much appreciated @ihlaking

@sabott Another thing i like to put on my negotiation emails is that. "id obviously prefer not to move but with better options available at lower prices i feel i have no choice if a suitable arrangement cannot be made."

I have told my boss 3 times that I'd love to stay but my family could not afford to do so on current pay while the market offers greater opportunities.

@sabott Precisely !! And this works more often than not (not if the agents are on a power trip as Seiwa Realty Chatswood guys often are). We moved out of their apartment long back for a different reason (not relevant here).

The new agents are a lot more sensible.
When we saw the rent prices drop left right centre during Covid, I drafted a simple email on my way home from work in 15 mins telling them why its financially prudent for them and us to reduce our rent - they happily reduced our rent for 6 months and said happy to extend it later if things don't improve.

@liltoancau I wrote a similar email last week and got rebuffed. The salient points of the email I got were..
  1. You have a mortgage not rent.
  2. Don’t email me when you could walk down the hall to my office.
  3. I’m your wife, stop calling me “Property Manager”

@liltoancau Landlord here. This is an effective approach and a great email. Wished more of my tenants approached the topic of rent changes with the same courtesy and thoroughness. Seen everything from tantrums to radio silence from fear of getting evicted (which is sad given it points to previous horrific experiences from my less savoury peers...).

One other thing that is overlooked is the agent benefits from one less open house to drive to if you stay so its less work for them if the owner accepts a rent drop . Heartstrings approach rarely works unless you get a landlord who really shouldn't be in that role. Renting is a business/investment, no place for the emotionally malleable. Money strings deal with absolutes (get rent, or don't) and its my suggested approach.

@resjudicata This is really the key to all negotiations. People get emotional but it is not about that in relationships involving money. It is a great skill to be able to let go of those feelings. You'll also notice the games that salespeople play more easily.

@liltoancau Can confirm this works. Dropped mine $100 per week!

Was paying $480 PW and I noticed a dozen apartments in the same building for $400.

I similarly sent an email the real estate agent with a link to all the listings and asked for $370. Landlord/RE came back with $380.

I know not everyone has the opportunity to find apartments in the same building, but like OP, do your research and leverage all you can to make a good case.

Speaking to friends it's surprising how many people mentioned that they have never thought to negotiate and were blown away that it's possible.

Stay savvy friends