Subcontractor Ruined Wood Floors

gracenprayers

TEXAS: We moved into this house a few months ago and discovered a window leaking. The sheetrock had to be removed, mould mitigated and then new sheetrock installed.

My GC (Contractor A) subbed out the mould remediation to Contractor B. They laid a tarp on the wood floors, sprayed a chemical around the window and then Sprayed the stuff on my wood floors. I didn't notice until it had been done. I asked if it was safe for sealed wood floors and they said yes.

I called my GC a couple days later b/c I couldn't get the solution off the floors. Damp microfiber mop just sudsed up more. He said to use a sealed wood cleaner, which I did and discovered the entire finish had been stripped from the floors by the chemical they sprayed. The floors are foggy and there is a clear line where it was sprayed and where it wasn't, even with footprints from walking on it onto the non damaged part.

The wood floors go thru the entire main level. I have a contractor for the repairs that used to work in insurance. They have prepared a scope of the damages. The entire floors have to be replaced b/c they are continual thru the main floor. They are also glued down. Will take at least a couple weeks, which means they are also claiming additional living expenses.

** QUESTION** What I need to know is, my contract for the service was thru my contractor A. He subbed the mould remediation to Contractor B who did the damage. He apparently has a iron clad contract with them and he advised me not to pay for the service. I have both COIs. Do I file with Contactor A, B or Both. Do I just call their insurance companies?

Also want to avoid legal action. He says B is harrassing him and is costing him legal fees. I just want my house fixed.

I don't want to do an HO insurance claim. Rates are expensive in Texas and I don't want ours to rise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@evenif Oh lord... we are mid build on a new home and had to go rounds with the builder over not wanting white oak floors... and this nonsense is why. Spending thousands on disposable floors. Oof.