Storm Damage to Roof

resjudicata

In a severe snow/wind storm a few weeks ago, one corner of my roofing was blown up by the wind and separated from the plywood. I have had two different contractors look at it and even though it’s not a huge area (maybe 10% of my total roof based on SF), it can’t be repaired.

They reasoning as I understand it:

I have a “low slope roof”, about 3 : 12 pitch. The existing roofing is a torch down membrane. Apparently torch down is not commonly done anymore because of the insurance requirements, although when I bought the home 7 years ago I was told that the roof was relatively new. Neither company does torch down and neither could point me to another company that does torch down.

Because my roof is “low slope” both contractors are cautioning me against using asphalt shingles, and recommending TPO or metal roofing. TPO I think is ugly, so realistically I’m looking at replacing my entire roof with metal, ballpark $15k. Insurance adjuster is scheduled for tomorrow and I’m expecting they will not offer very much money based on the SF of the damaged area.

Assuming the insurance adjuster offers to pay only a few thousand dollars based on the SF of damaged area assuming it can be “patched”, do I have a case to argue for more coverage because a patch is not feasible? I don’t want to replace my roof, but it seems like I will have to due to storm damage.