Stolen Vehicle Claim

richief

Hi All!

My partner had his vehicle stolen a few weeks ago by some local kids so we’ve been dealing with Aviva. The vehicle was located and determined to be a write off from the damages they caused.

Of course Aviva offered a low settlement amount we’re not happy with. They provided a list of “similar” vehicles that they’re basing their settlement on but we feel the vehicles aren’t really similar at all (his vehicle was a diesel 3/4 ton truck, and only 2 of the 6 vehicles on Aviva’s list had diesel engines).

When he told Aviva he wasn’t happy with their settlement amount, they came back and told my partner that HE needs to provide them with a list of similar vehicles currently listed for sale in Ontario. My partner works 12 hours each day so he doesn’t have the luxury of being able to scroll auto listings all day to find more accurate vehicles.

Does anyone have any advice on what he should do next? We feel his broker should be doing more to help.

Any advice is very appreciated :)

@richief I’m not sure what you are expecting the insurance company to do? They gave you the offer. If you don’t accept then it’s on you to show proof as to why it’s not acceptable. If your husband can’t look up used car sales, then why don’t you do it? Just google the year make and model of the vehicle and see what pops up. Then take a screen shot and email them to your broker.

@richief
We feel his broker should be doing more to help.

The broker has very little to do with the claims process. They are not an adjuster - they are a broker. They can advise and advocate to a degree, but they really shouldn't have their hands in the claims process. As wannabe_pineapple said, you're disputing the settlement so the onus is now on you to counter with proof.

@richief Did you obtain the valuation report? Did they make value adjustments for the difference in engine type? At the end of the day, everyone and their Mom thinks their vehicle is worth more than it actually is because they don’t understand they’re not owed listing prices at dealerships (which include markups), and are instead only owed the raw, actual cash value of their vehicle.

@pben004 Thanks for commenting something constructive and useful :)

I’m not sure about the valuation report but I’ll definitely mention that to him! We’re only about $3,000-$4,000 apart in what we think the vehicle is worth vs what insurance thinks the vehicle is worth. It’s not like they’re offering $30k and he’s asking for $60k

@richief This is how it works. If you don't agree with the offer they give you a chance to prove your point. They don't spend time disproving their own offer and I don't know why you'd expect them to. If the time put in doing this isn't a priority to you then you don't put in the work and you take the offer they've given you.

@richief Gotta be honest- you could have done this in the time it took you to post.

So try this- go onto autotrader.ca and literally enter the vehicle details into the search and search within 500km of your location and you will get the results of all the vehicles for sale in your region.

2nd go to the dealer of the vehicle make and ask them what they would be selling that vehicle for on their lot and if they have access to any.

Send results to Aviva.

The very least your broker could have done is suggest that.