State Farm Fined $4 Million by Montana Insurance Commissioner related to Private Passenger Auto Claims.

@onesmus Only ever heard good things about SF. Friends lost their home to a fire and they were real generous with their claim despite them not having a lot of pictures of videos of the possessions.

@onesmus Which companies do you think are better. Only ever heard great things about SF from customers. Then being a pain to work with seems like a good thing when it comes to claims against the insured. They are currently helping me fight some soft fraud too, paid out one bogus claim to limit my liability and hired an attorney to fight a separate claim from the same accident.

@monday Better as far as coverage, service, claims or price because those are all different answers?

If all someone cares about is price price price price price, then it probably doesn’t really matter to them how those companies are with the other things.

@monday This is just my opinion but for the area I’m in (Oklahoma) I would go with Travelers for coverage (but they’re about to go up on the wind and hail deductible soon), no one has good customer service right now, Farmers for claims (however they are extremely pricey but who isn’t anymore) and AFR for price.

@blmartinez Former Montana resident checking in. Troy Downing is a partisan politician with a limited background in insurance. It’s not to say that State Farm didn’t mess up, they probably did.

Montana does have some pro consumer laws and was a challenging insurance regulatory environment.

This strikes me as an effort to build his resume in an election year.

@blmartinez It may have been a long time coming, but he’s still running for Congress…

https://www.troydowning.com/

“Downing said in a statement his previous experience has prepared him to "beat the Biden liberals and save the America we all love."

I’m sure in 3 short years he’s become an expert in the industry which he previously had no experience in.

Yes, there are some bright career folks in the department up in Helena, but call me skeptical.

@blmartinez I've been dealing with State Farm insurance for a solid 1 1/2 years. I was rear ended by one of their drivers in late 2022 and I'm still in the process of handling the bodily injury claim and diminished value claim. Getting my vehicle fixed took over a year and then getting it paid for took months. They still haven't fully paid the bill, but at least the autobody shop was helpful and let me take the vehicle anyway.

They are an absolute nightmare to deal with.

@blmartinez My sister recently had her vehicle hit while it was parked at a hotel parking lot. The other driver fled the scene all the way to the other motel right next door 🤣. Video and damage to his vehicle confirmed that it was the one involved, and the driver admitted it to the police and was cited for hit and run. My sister parked her vehicle at night in heavy rain when the lot was almost empty, and in the photos her vehicle is clearly over the line. The other driver was with SF, so I told her to expect them to try to put some liability on her (I used to work at GEICO, so I knew their reputation). She decided to have her own insurance handle it, and so far hasn’t heard what SF decided.

It seems like SF would have to lose in arbitration a lot! I guess they reduce payouts enough when the other vehicle doesn’t have collision coverage to make up for losing arbitration from other companies.

@blmartinez Is this a political stunt? $2million fine that is waived if they fix things within a year and $2million to settle claims? Am I missing the punch line?