State Farm Fined $4 Million by Montana Insurance Commissioner related to Private Passenger Auto Claims.

@gilcollect No joke, I had one where their driver was backing out of their driveway and backed into the side of my insured’s vehicle while driving past. They hit my insured with 10 percent because they should have evaded.

@gumph Yeah they are true scum and don’t pay what they owe. I will never buy a policy from them. Even the low cost carriers (Geico and Progressive) accept liability when they know they are responsible. They are both better choices than Allstate.

@gilcollect I've had 3 claims since switching to Progressive: was rear ended twice and hit a deer. This was all in a 2.5 year span.

Each and every time, they were amazing to deal with. No pushback, no liability headaches, reps were very responsive, repairs done quickly.

Also want to mention that one particular insurer on the other side of the table, Horace Mann, was very easy to deal with as well. At one point, I had forgotten to deposit the check covering my rental so they sent me a letter asking whether it needed to be reissued. Even on the phone, they were very pleasant and efficient.

@gumph Allstate is the worst from my experience. They'll also deny liability if they know you have a liability only policy so it will never go to arbitration.

@gumph two of my coworkers came over from Allstate and they are big on the whole evasive action thing. I think it's bullshit and I call them out on it. You can't judge people on reaction times for something that they likely couldn't foresee happening.

@gumph This exact same thing happened to me, so I had to read to the end to see the 10% part. I was fully covered; my agency is USAA.

@gilcollect My dad had a horrible experience with Allstate and he was the policy holder. I couldn't believe it could even be possible bad. One of those very rare times where the threat of a lawyer caused a fast turnaround and a new adjuster, probably because there's no way the insurance commissioner would have found in Allstate's favor and a potential lawyer would have known that.

@tylerr 50% at fault. If you hadn't parked your car there, State Farm's driver wouldn't have hit it. Also, denied on damages to the house because you chose to build it adjacent to a road.

@blmartinez Is there any advice to get State Farm to pay out the full estimated repair on a vehical that was hit while parked in a parking lot?

They sent ~50% check on the estimate given by the repair center State Farm chose.

Also curious, the vehical was parked attached to a trailer that was also hit in the same incident.

How do attached trailers typically work with insurance, if at all connected to the main policy? Are there any special provisions that need to be made to protect a attached trailer?

@blmartinez I called the rental part being part of it when I saw the headline. MT is a mess for sorting all that out. However, I was not surprised by the comp neg part. Good ole snake farm doing what they do best.

@blmartinez Hold on, you're telling me that State Farm lied and cheated in an attempt to avoid properly indemnifying claimants? And the issue is systemic within the organization?

@onesmus No matter how low State Farm policies are, this company is never worth it. I left it and will never come back ever. The amount of money saved vs working with them is not worth the premium one can save.

@onesmus Or they're the biggest so they get the most complaints. If you read the article, Montana decided that State Farm was not treating third parties well, the fine has nothing to do with State Farm customers.