Standard Deduction u/s 16(ia) not included in Gross Total Income

maryzovi

The IT return form does not include standard deduction @burning___bush 16(ia) in the gross total income. In fact the actual "gross total" is nowhere to be mentioned in the return.

If I am to make an income certificate, should I add up my salary income and income from other sources and get made on that figure, or should I just use the gross total income as mentioned on the IT return?

@maryzovi Which form are you looking at? I do see the standard deduction as a separate line item in ITR1 and ITR2, that is subtracted from the gross salary later in the form.

The income from other sources is added later. This is expected since the standard deduction is on salary income, not on income from other sources.

@maryzovi Yes, the 143(1) order this year does not separately show gross salary and deductions from salary. If your salary amount is shown in sl. no. 1 as net of standard deduction, then ignore it. If sl. no. does not take standard deduction into account, then file a ROM. I don't think ROM for the current year is enabled as yet.

@maryzovi Strange.

My 143 (1) intimation has net salary in sl. no. 1, house property in sl. no. 2, capital gains in sl. no. 3, other incomes in sl. no. 4 and gross total income (GTI) in sl. no. 10.

Maybe you are using another ITR form.

Anyway, if your tax calculation is correct, then pl. ignore it. Unlike previous years, now 143 (1) intimation does not look to be as detailed. IF the tax calculation is incorrect, then file a rectification, or even file a revised return, if you claimed it incorrectly.

Use an income tax calculator on the IT website to check if your tax is paid correctly.