Something you do ‘right’ that’s ’wrong’?

@jesussaves7763 That's pretty much what my dad did for us as well. Effectively, school was my job. And my dad made sure we knew that if our performance wasn't up to par (i.e. getting good grades) we could be fired (i.e. you can go get your own job to make money).

@oskar29 Exactly what he's been told over and over. Funny thing is how it's a catch 22 in way... Do good, don't have to work part time... Do mediocre and/or bad, have to get a job that takes away more time to turn it around and do good! lol

I kinda got this idea from my dad cause he would always say "if I can help it, don't work, study"..... until I moved in with him my last year in high school.... Then it was "get a job to help support yourself" lol

@jesussaves7763 I have done the same for my children. They were able to focus on their grades and participating in extracurricular activities. The amount of money they were offered in college scholarships, far outweighed what they would have earned in an after school part time job.

@jesussaves7763 I've racked up $297k in student loan debt.

..but I'll end up having it discharged in two more years under PSLF, and I'll have paid about $30k total for my JD, MS, and Bachelor's degrees. All while maxing Roth, 401k, and contributing $500/week to a taxable account.

@angelos17 How is the wrong? Isn’t the whole point of PSLF to get smarty pants people like you into government?

The whole thing was not wrong when DeVos ran DoEd and they kept “losing” everyone’s PSLF discharge papers.

Edit me write English way badness

@lenetra Yep, that's my point. It's not wrong. It was created to provide an opportunity for kids without familial means to earn an opportunity they wouldn't otherwise have.

But I can't tell you how many times I've been lectured about the amount of student loans I have. Or told that it's only my obligation to pay them back. Particularly older folks will say, "You took out the loans, you pay them back."

I point out that the mastery promissory note has the option of working for the government for 10 years, to earn discharge under PSLF. But they don't want to hear it. I've been called 'scum' or a 'leech' so many times I've stopped trying to explain it to people.

But it's certainly the right option for me. My wife, a doctor, is doing the same program with her $400k in loans.

@angelos17 > 'scum', or a 'leech'

You know what, I'm just going to say thank you. **Thank you for your service.**

Working in government is, unfortunately, a thankless task. While everyone focuses on the public safety and national security roles, diligence (at every level) is required to keep everything going smoothly.

And the reason is pretty simple.

Government is infrastructure. When there's good governance, it's a firm foundation upon which the rest of the economy/country can be built. It's one of the reasons why President Bush and a bipartisan congress passed PSLF into law. There's a recognition that we need to build on a foundation of rock. And in government that means well-educated, dependable people that can make good decisions.

@camarors Hrm, take back and look at why Bush signed PSLF into law back in the early 2000s.

The purpose was to create incentives for patriotic Americans to take jobs in the public/non-profit sector (including the military) especially in underserved areas of the country.

It's not really any surprise, but the governement and health care providers in small cities and towns, and rural areas can't pay as much as their counterparts in the big cities. And as such, people (being rationale) will choose to live in those bigger cities and tonier suburbs instead of smaller towns and rural communities.

With PSLF, a young doctor, police officer, fireman, teacher from places like like Huntington, WV or Chetopa, KS, might actually come back and serve their community. Without it, they're going to DC or KC to find a high paying job to pay off those loans. And, because the term is 10 years, there's a chance that those folks put down roots and keep some of those communities going.

@camarors See. This right here.

But I've given up fighting with people that have this ignorant view. I've given up explaining that I am meeting the terms of the loan. I've given up explaining the pay disparity between the public and private sector and the need to incentivize public service. I've given up detailing the opportunity for upward mobility this provided to me--a guy that lived in his car for a period of time and whose single father passed away before he finished school. I've even given up explaining that my job is to literally protect and care for the same people who would seek to harm me by changing the terms of the deal at this very late stage.

Instead, I just say, thanks for the degrees. :)

@resjudicata Yeah, your comment is not accurate. While there were initially low forgiveness rates, few people submitting for forgiveness under this program had actually met the requirements during the first few years of eligibility. And despite the previously perceived difficulty, I've very closely followed the requirements, sending biannual employment certification forms to the Department of Ed to have my qualifying payment counts verified.

I wish people would stop spreading this false narrative as it alone has dissuaded people from taking careers public service or pursuing PSLF.

@jesussaves7763 I have a few.

I rent instead of owning, despite being mid-30s and having decent money. Interest rates are too high, and when they were lower, we just weren't in a position to put down roots. We moved 3 times in 5 years, each time for better opportunities. I went from earning 88k to 190k. Looking at Zillow, a mortgage on my current apartment would likely cost me 2k more per month than my rent.

I spend the money in my HSA. I know some people advocate investing that money, saving the receipts, and only getting the money out in retirement or something. While this is reasonable, I think one can go overboard in taking care of the Future You and neglecting Current You. For me, I have a lot of health problems. I'm often hitting the max out of pocket thing in January or February. I just don't want to absorb a 3k bill for this or that and wait 30 years to get the money. So, I pay for the medical expense on my credit card, get the cc points, immediately reimburse myself through the HSA, and then pay off the card.

Last one: my husband and I both went to college to study humanities. Lots of people poo poo that. But it worked for us. (It actually works for a lot of people if one looks at the numbers, but I don't wanna get political.) Neither of us came from rich families, so we didn't take this path knowing that we had a trust fund or something as a fallback. Instead, we pursued what we were interested in and thought we could excel in. Today, both of us have jobs doing exactly what we hoped to do when we were 20, and we use those degrees everyday. And we can pay the bills, as we're solidly upper middle class.