Should the Air Force Salary be a deterrent for me joining?

@marissa90 Pro: Your pay increases all the time, and your entitlements (BAH, BAS) are not taxed. Con: if you are single and in the barracks all you are making is that Base Pay

@marissa90 Depends on your benefits. If you have medical and dental and 401k match beyond 5%, plus your housing costs are less than $20k a year, then financially it doesn’t make sense. If you don’t have all of that, then it evens out. You’d want to rent out your house though for at least as much as your mortgage or you’ll be pretty f’ed.

@fyrsil I'm still on my parents plan so I don't have to pay medical and dental yet. I think the 401k match is 3-5%. Thanks for the advice on renting out my house.

@marissa90 Pros: BAH/BAS are non taxable income. Healthcare is included. Moving expenses are covered if you PCS. Tuition Assistance and/or GI/Post 911 Bill to cover further education (bachelors , masters). Guaranteed income as long as you don’t get in trouble during times of economic uncertainty. Networking opportunities with people of various cultures, ethnicities, careers, industries. VA loan to purchase a second home with 0% down during historically low interest rates. Blended Retirement System leaves with you so your years in the Air Force aren’t wasted. Consistent pay increases based on Time in Service and promotion that is relatively easy to achieve (do your job and test well). Leave is awesome and we accrue a lot compared to most civilian jobs.

Cons: Could be stationed anywhere depending on your AFSC unless you go Guard/Reserves. Pay is fairly low starting out (E-1 thru E-4) with BAH being a big portion in some locations, but then you’re likely shelling all of that out to rent or dabbling in the current home purchasing whirlwind. Dorm life is lame and you get treated like an 18 year old no matter your actual age and maturity. Additional duties blow and take you away from doing your actual job that you signed up for. Random dorm-wide drug tests or all-calls for dumb shit someone else did. Shitty work hours depending on your AFSC. Working thru the holidays on occasion.

I know you only asked for pros and cons on pay but there’s a lot more to the USAF and military in general that makes or breaks it outside of pay. I’ve been relatively blessed with good locations and opportunities so I’m content with 20 years in the USAF. Others hated life and got out after 4-6 years, sometimes for lower-paying job opportunities because they hated how the military ran their life. To each their own, but for what it’s worth you’ll make way more if you finish your Bachelors degree and commission as an officer in the USAF. That’s what I would recommend.

@marissa90 Your pay after expenses will be about the same as an E-3 vs. making 45k on civi side.

As an O1E overseas with 6 years TIS. My Basic pay is only like $52k or whatever. But after OHA, COLA, BAS, etc. I’d have to make like $105K here to maintain quality of life and savings rate. Not to mention pension accrued.

There’s more to military pay than basic pay.

@marissa90 I would not join. Seems like you’re somewhat established. What you need to do is maybe up your education in order to get that better paying job or an increase in salary. I joined out of college although it seemed like a good idea for me it’s been an alright idea. I’ve been able to pay off a majority of my car that I bought since I didn’t own one prior and the majority of my student loans. Aside from that due to being an E3 now an E4 the pay isn’t much. Doable and enough to live off, save, and invest but you aren’t going to get rich off it. You’re better off trying to get your employer pay for your bachelors especially since you already have your associate you’re half way there! If you want the benefits maybe do the guard or reserves instead...

@marissa90 Any interest in finished out a bachelors and commissioning (assuming your GPA and test scores are solid)? O1+BAH+BAS would likely be a raise. If you enlist you'll be making a better salary after a few years, but if you just want to do 4 and be done it probably isn't worth it.

The reserves could also be a decent tradeoff.

@marissa90 My first question is why do you want to join? If your reason allows you to take a pay cut, live in barracks, etc then go for it. 3-4 years flies by. If you don't, consider getting a baccalaureate degree and go in as an officer. You won't have all of those restraints, a higher salary, and more freedom (slightly).

I don't know much about the AF except what I've seen at my last joint station. I'm also medical so my experience is a lot softer than the rest of the Army.

You can also do reserves or air guard and live in your house/keep your job.

I enlisted in the army guard to pay for college and am now active duty army officer. It's a pretty sweet gig unless you're clearing over 100k as a civ.

@banlawya I've always wanted to enlist and thought it would give me more opportunities. I'm not trying to get rich from the military I just think it would help make me a better person in most aspects of my life. I also feel it would help me gain considerable skills that would transfer to the civilian world.