Should the Air Force Salary be a deterrent for me joining?

marissa90

I make around 45k a year, own my house, and have a sizeable 401k, a big reason I am hesitant to join is the low salary. I currently work for a government contractor doing cyber security and order processing (we sell equipment to VA Hospitals). If I joined I would most likely rent my house or just pay the mortgage and keep it empty with the plan on moving back after my enlistment period. I would join as an E-3 since I have an Associate's degree but from what I've been reading I would not get BAS or BAH until I get to leave the dorms which could be up to 3 years. Age is mid 20s. Are you guys able to give some pros and cons on the pay?

EDIT: Thank you all for your thoughts and advice I am not trying to get rich off the military just wanted to know if the pay and future benefits were actually comparable to my current salary. I also regret not enlisting when I was fresh out of high school and wanted to enlist at age 21-22 then got into some legal issues. I have waivers to get over that f**k up and was looking for more personal experiences versus the research I've done. I really believe this is path I want to go. I feel like the AF has more to offer in the long term versus my current job whether or not I am enlisted for 4-6 years or make a career out of it. Also, if any of you have experience in communications/cyber or intelligence AFSC's then that would be appreciated as well!

@marissa90 I think the BEST thing you can do is to ask questions early, kudos for that.

I'll speak in general terms here. Am a ~15 year enlisted guy who joined immediately after high school with no assets and nothing in savings.

A lot of folks say "you don't join to get rich", but a lot of folks are also wrong. I'm at just shy of 1 mil cash and well over that if you count property.

The benefit of service is a steady paycheck, if you did X amount of time, you're able to calculate from the outset how much you'll make from the beginning. There's a few variables, but by and large you know down to the penny what your income will be. There are other intangible benefits like healthcare, vacation, travel, and experience.

The pay isn't bad. The current base pay for someone with less trhan two years service is 2103/mo. That's 25,236 / yr of taxable income. You probably would be in a barracks for first one or two years and will probably have to eat at the chow hall, meaning you don't get the housing (BAH) or food (BAS) stipends.

After two years you'll probably be an E-4 and out of the dorms, drawing BAH and BAS. Luckily those entitlements are non taxable. Food is a set rate and housing varies depending on your assignment.

What I'm getting at is, the numbers work in your favor BUT if you're doing fine in the private sector, then keep on rocking and rolling. A few years in the AF can be a launching pad to bigger things after, especially while you're young enough to enjoy it.

@texasgungal If you calculated a lump sum equivalent that would generate the same pension payments of a 20-year retirement, that alone would be in the millions as well; without the security of actually knowing you can withdraw from it until you die.

Not to mention, depending on your job, all the things you'll be able to do/experience that you would never be able to in the civilian world.

If pay is a concern, one can always commission.

The military provides excellent financial benefits, better than any employer I've ever applied to. There are trade offs and things that will drive people to leave the second they can, but I've never doubted that I was being well-compensated and trained.

@marissa90 As a 1N4X1A, you’d still be in cyber security, most likely you’d be stationed in Maryland which has a large BAH (Ft Meade doesn’t keep the junior enlisted in the dorms unless they REALLY wanna be there). An E3 here makes about 50k a year after taxes and not including any of the medical benefits. I say do it because contractors routinely nab us as we’re getting out offering 6 figure salaries assuming we have all the certifications we need.

@marissa90
I currently work for a government contractor doing cyber security

I make around 45k a year

Entry cyber security jobs should average 70k with a bachelors. It might be worth it better to work on a bachelors and be poised to hit a higher salary. Military experience, while good experience, doesn't often drastically increase your salary as much as advanced degrees. That is, if money is your goal

@marissa90 Since u have been doing the adulting thing (doing pretty well) you have probably seen ur fair share of the civillian job market and opportunities. In regards to the Air Force it can be a huge multiplier to what u already have built. U don’t have to do 20. Even just one enlistment can get job experience for resume to build on what u already do or u can go wildcard and choose something different to get trained in for free. Plus, the medical/dental is way more competitive than civilian world costs. If u want more education u can get that for free too. If u don’t, u can still bank that GI BILL to use for spouse or kids in future. Lastly, it’s a great experience where no matter what u have already done u will learn even more about yourself. Make stories and friends that will last a lifetime and u get a paycheck.

TLDR: your going to live the next several years of your adult life whether u join military or not so why not go the road with a challenge where ur guaranteed to come out on the other with more to add to ur achievements so far.

@cralls Serving your country is recruiting bullshit. Construction workers working their asses off literally building this country and get zero respect, while tech schoolers jerk themselves off when they're thanked for their service.

@cralls I can't think of a better path for entry level people without a lot of education to make a bunch of money than joining the military...

@cralls I definitely want to serve my country and feel like the AF would give me better discipline and skills once I would return to civilian life. I was just more curious if the pay would be comparable.

@marissa90 Well you have already done a bunch of research and you know what rank you would be at joining. An E-3 will bring in about 24k before taxes since you don't get bah or has like you said.

@marissa90 if discipline is what you’re wanting, you won’t magically find it in the air force. don’t get me wrong, enlisting can bring out the discipline inside you, but it certainly won’t give it to you just by going through basic training and tech school
source: every new airman who does dumb shit and complains about it after

@marissa90 For someone with your background you will probably make more money on the outside. You can't beat the job security of the military though. If you do join I would see if you can talk them then into paying for another 2 years of school to become an officer. If you do that you would have to sign a longer contract to make it worth it to the military. The base pay as well as BAH is better for officers. Keep in mind the military retirement does not include BAH or BAS. Also the 30 days of leave thing, they don't tell you that if you are out of town during your weekend that counts against your leave balance and there is no such thing as sick leave.