Should I work 1/2 days a week in my final year of college?

About to start my last year of college in September and I am contemplating whether to work part time or not through the college year.

For context I am fortunate enough that I will not need to work to survive getting by (food, accom etc), but more so for personal enjoyment like going here and there on some occasions, meeting with friends for drinks/food and stuff of that sort.

Part of me wants to work to have that little bit extra pocket money while also showing future employers that I am eager to work even when in college as I lacked experience prior to my semester purely for an internship.

The other part of me wants to just give myself as much free time as possible to try do as well as I can with my college work.

What do yous reckon ay?

@lettersfortheeditor I found I actually did more study when working part time, it can be helpful having a bit of structure.

From a purely financial point of view whatever gets you the best grades is probably best. I don’t think a part time job with a 2.2 is better than a 2.1 without one.

So I guess imo it depends on whether that work will negatively affect your marks? Would you quit the job if you were falling behind at college?

@lettersfortheeditor Depends on the intensity of your final year also.
Some courses may have relatively lax final years, some have a module or 2 that obliterate your time.

I myself worked 2 diff jobs through the 1st portion of my last year (maybe 25hrs total work time across multiple days), and eventually just had a mental break with how much I had to do, it wasn't maintainable at all, had modules that were just time pits and I needed all the hours I could get just to throw at CAs and projects. I ended up dropping all outside work apart from doing 6hrs on a Saturday for cash in hand to afford petrol to get to college, but that was it.

Other people I know coasted (relatively speaking) through final year of university as their modules outside their FYP etc. Weren't as intense.

I would recommend you try and maintain a job, but the moment you feel it having even a slight impact, drop it if it's not crucial and poor all that time into study.
The couple of grand you will make during 4th year is nothing compared to the difference a 2.1 Vs 2.2 will get you in your starting role.

I found my friends with 2.2s found it harder getting good starting jobs. (Pay was lower and generally for companies with alot less ability to climb up the ladder)

@nsllovesgod Yeah I definitely hear you here. I am aiming for a 2:1 minimum in college. So I believe I will need to dedicate quite abit of time to projects/study etc, alot more time than in I did in comparison with my previous college years as they were not as crucial.

Thanks for your take on it.

@lettersfortheeditor A balance is needed. I was the type that if I had loads of time, I'd end up wasting it and cramming at the end but if I was tight for time I'd be very efficient and get things done. The element of having loads of time relaxed me but introduced complacency. I needed the reduced time to study to kick myself into gear. What type of person are you? If you can juggle the job and achieve decent results, do it.

@lettersfortheeditor Depends on your course I suppose. Final year engineering was fucking intense for me. Completely burned out in xmas exams and did shit. Took out a loan to live off and left my job in febuary to see out the last semester and honestly it was so needed. Ended up very relaxed and did really well in final exams. Final award did suffer though because of poor xmas results.
That was my experience if it helps.
If I was to do it again I'd leave work in september

@supersenior Yeah I get what you there. To be honest I wouldnt be the most academically gifted, so I would say I would probably have to work abit harder than some in my course to achieve the same result. For that reason alone I was kind of considering just taking the full year to concentrate on college. But i also dont want to get complacent with all the extra time I’ll have too, like someone mentioned previously in a different comment.

@lettersfortheeditor No. You don't need to, focus on your studies.

Unless you plan to have a career in the area you're currently working as opposed to what you're studying?

You already have some work experience for the cv. At most you might pick up work in college related to your field of study - lab tech or assistant or something small like that

@searching_soul12 You can “focus on your studies” and also work part time. My friend just got a 2.1 while working 20+ hours and training 4+ days a week. Went on nights out often and still played video games… all about time management and not having 4 hours of screen time a day then complaining you’re so busy.