Should I opt out of my 9.8% NHS Pension for one year to help pay off debt

glow63

Hi, I’m a 23 year old earning £42k working in the NHS. I’m in a relatively comfortable financial position apart from the fact I have around £6000 in credit card debt. I have recently transferred the balances of two credit cards to a zero interest card (12 months) to make paying them off easier. However, with my current take home pay of around £2,300 I can only afford to pay £300 off a month. I really want to be debt free by the end of 2024.

I was looking at my payslip and I noticed that my pension contributions at the moment are 9.8%, roughly £340 a month. I had the idea of opting out for just one year to help pay off the debt. I figured if I could use my pension contributions to up my repayments to £600 a month.

Here’s where I’m unsure. Whilst becoming free of credit card debt is super important to me, I would be missing out on around £5k from my employer towards my pension pot. However, I’m still young and intend on working in the NHS for a long time - how much of a difference will one year make?

I’d really appreciate any advice that you have!

@glow63 This one is easy, don't do it.

When you retire, this one year in the scheme at a £42k salary will be worth £778 of income every year of retirement. By opting out, you opt out of receiving this £778/year.

(Note that this £778/year is in today's money - the amount will actually go up by inflation each year.)

And you gain about £3k with which to pay off some debt that is literally interest free.

You're not even saying you'll invest it in something that will return more than this £778/year in retirement, you just want to hit an arbitrary goal earlier for personal satisfaction. Nope nope nope, don't!

@100cowgirls The minute you drop out of something, they can easily say next year, we can’t afford the current pension, the NHS offers to new staff members.

We will honour the ones still on the one rules.