Should I manage my own 401(k)?

@itisbeebop Ok, I decided I need to get involved with it. I have focused on real estate the past few years, but since the market rates are rough, I’m ready to optimize this pot of cash

@neari I've gone through this before. For me, rather than rebalancing my current TDF, I just changed the contributions.

Something like 80/20 for future contributions of S&P500/TDF made sense for me

@neari Target funds have too much international equity for my taste along with some funds having 5-10% in bonds, which is utterly ridiculous for someone in their 20s-30s. I personally do a 75/25 split in my 401k between S&P 500 and target 2060 fund which gives me a small, but more appropriate sized exposure to international equity/bonds imo.

@neari Ex-US is just as, if not more aggressive than the US (assume does not just mean whatever has done the best in recent years). Only the bonds are conservative, and you can adjust how many of those you hold based on the year you pick.

@neari Be aware that that puts you at odds with several (if not all) big names in the industry. While they can be wrong, or may be worth asking if they're taking into account the same stuff you are but also even more.

Ex-US outperformance predicted over the next decade or so:

@readytogo2 Target funds just have too many securities. They hold funds with more securities. You end up with a teeny allocation to every fucking stock and bond and a fat allocation to the fees in each level of fund