Should I get masters while serving or after I separate?

gosdontez

Hey y’all,

I need some advice. I am currently wanting to go to graduate school for my Masters in Accounting (MACC).

I can’t decide if I should extend a year (separation date: March 2024) and get my MACC OR separate & do school full time w/the GI BILL.

Extending a year will give me more time to save (I have 20K saved rn). It will also give me the opportunity to do an accounting skill bridge program which in the end will help me w/my resume & job prospects. I plan on going to ASU using
TA- which offers a discounted tuition for military, but it doesn’t cover everything. In the end, i’ll have to pay 5K. Ik WGU & UMGC is much cheaper but i’m afraid of future employers looking down at an online degree.

If I separate & use the GI BILL, I will still like/ have to work so I can have extra $$. It’s been really hard to find online masters programs that will match the military TA with the degree I want to get. Using the GI BILL will make it easier for me to find a college that will cover my degree cost entirely.

22.F. No Dependents. 4 Yrs TIS.

@gosdontez Diplomas don't say "online degree". UMGC has both on campus and online classes. Hell, Iv'e done hybrid while being overseas to where I had to go in person to the Education Center to take classes. Get your education while you are still in, that way when you get out you don't have to worry about anything other than looking for a career.

@gosdontez I just finished my MAcc from Boise State in May. TA covered about half of my tuition. It sucked to take out loans to cover it but it seems to be worth it. I still have my GI to use on something else. I would extend and use the skillbridge option. It’s very tough getting a job even with a masters in accounting because people with bachelors in it have internship experience where we just have military.

@gosdontez I’m active duty and I’m getting my masters degree online (overseas) through ASU, I’ll graduate in December. I personally just want to get my degree finished and I’m already 10 years in so I don’t plan on getting out soon. I’m using the TA that I can and I’m using my Post 9/11 to pay the difference. I know I’m losing that extra money while using the 9/11 while I’m still active but like I said I just want to be done and i don’t have to worry about having to find a new job while going to school. My personal opinion is stay in and finish it up and bulk up your savings for when you separate. The ASU diploma will not say “online” it’ll just be a diploma so they will not know it was an online degree, if that matters. I got my bachelor’s from UMGC and switched to ASU for my Master’s because UMGC didn’t offer a Master’s in my area of study.

@gosdontez I say push for that masters. From what I’ve heard and researched, most industries are split into one of two camps when it comes to higher education.

They either need the check in the box and only really care about your actual skills, experience, and industry certs. Or they desire higher-tier, in person schools due to the advanced hands-on aspects of the job, like field and lab work for STEM stuff.

I have no experience in the accounting industry, but I imagine it’s much more of the first category. Just having the degree and earning some relevant certs will be what best benefits you. I doubt anyone will care that your accounting degree isn’t from a brick-and-mortar.

@gosdontez Hey have you seen this list?

Florida Tech also has the wisdom warrior program I’m starting for $250/Credit hour. I say extend and finish your masters, the degree doesn’t say online. I will say though idk how accounting works but there is a school of thought that if you do an MBA you want a top 25 school or it’s not worth your time.

Your plan sounds solid with being able to pivot straight from active to a good job via skillbridge. Have you considered getting the accounting Masters now and saving the GI bill for an MBA or another program that would enrich your career and put extra cash in your pocket down the road?

@gosdontez FWIW, I balanced the idea of getting masters (MS) while serving vs getting out and collecting BAH while working and doing the masters. Ultimately I decided to use GI while serving with no BAH because I would start at a higher salary in A&D industry with it than without it. I have found that I have more leverage with the masters and civilian experience than I would without it. I have a buddy that did the opposite and we hold the same position, only I’m making 35k/yr more. There’s also an art to negotiating and networking. 11yrs TIS - reserves now to offset healthcare and get a little extra per month with disability. Reach out with questions.

@gosdontez The way I would explore this is a month-by-month breakdown in expected income and expenses and comparing the opportunity costs. Here's an example my wife used when deciding whether to go back to school or not.
That's super simplified, but I think it communicates the premise. Her opportunity cost of going back to school is losing out on her steady income and having to pay for tuition. Not going back to school costs her potential income increases.

Then we extrapolate. Once she gets her income increase, how many months does it take to get even? With these numbers, its in 2029 for us.

@gosdontez The reason why I am not retiring right at 20 is because I am starting a masters program in October. Having a family it’s easier for me complete grad school while on active duty. I am doing a MA in Applied administration from university of the incarnate word. It’s online and it’s right at the $250 per credit

@gosdontez Do it while serving! I got my masters through WGU right when I ETSed. The company I work for hired 2 others at the same time and I was able to negotiate a higher salary of 20k and 15k over the other two who had similar experiences but only bachelor's degrees.

@gosdontez I'm now confused. You said you wouldn't because they won't match. A lot of reputable schools won't, so you'll have to pay out of pocket for the difference. Many will, though.