@trevayne The mx5 is well able for the motorway, no airbags or abs are just part of the experience. Good luck in your choices, you're dad's right though, don't sell it

@trevayne Sell the Golf, keep your Mazda, your only using the golf 1 day a week! Buy something cheap to do that journey and use the Mazda more often!
I bought my 1.9 diesel Vw in 2018 from 300 euro, I'm still driving it and have put 150k miles on it trouble free!

@trevayne What about your insurance, having vintage insurance usually relays on you having a main car and the vintage is the toy, id personality buy one good car and sell both, 1 headache and thing to look after and maintaining, something like a mk1 focus rs which is also only going to hold or appreciate its value, I've had one of those and regret ever selling it

@lockexxv That’s the thing ideally I’d just insure the mx-5 as a daily and wear a big jacket as another user suggested but I found it hard to even get insured as a classic.

I fear a Mk1 Focus RS is already out of budget for me!
Last one I seen on Donedeal was €26k!

I was thinking if doing that but I fear I’d miss the Mazda and end up with something not as fun and even more expensive.
Cars I’d consider that’d be within budget are - 350z - 15k, 2k to insure, €1.8k to tax is a hard pill to swallow.

Dc5 Integra Type R - hard to get insured on but not impossible, probably another 2k, €700 to tax.

Altezza, as much as I hate the association, they’re a decent car. €710 to tax, €1k to insure, and I’d be able to pay back some of the loan.

E92 355i - expensive, I’d love an in-line 6 but just not prudent.

Mk7 Fiesta ST - good fun by all accounts, probably not as much fun though.
Same with Mk7 GTI or Focus ST of that era.

FN2 Civic same as above, but quite cheap to buy and insure.

@trevayne Downgrade the Golf and keep the MX5, especially if it's not costing you much with classic tax and insurance. They are so hard to find in good condition nowadays. Definitely don't sell it, you will regret it. I had to part with a classic mini a few years back for a more sensible car as couldn't I afford both. I still regret it.

How far is your weekly motorway commute?

Would you get a motorbike for the drive to work, and take the MX-5 when the weather is too poor?

@krystin That’s my thinking too, it’s an Nb so not as desirable as the pop ups but everything’s getting harder to find and virtually all need serious rust repair.
I bought it solely because the shell was clean of rust, everything else was just a bonus!

@trevayne Having recently bought a car, I would say do ur research on what the new car will cost.

A 4k budget didn't get me much option. Certainly nothing from a dealership (8k being low end). Private sale may be better.

@queenbeast Yep so I’m insuring it as a classic, stipulation being that I’ve a regular insurance policy too/daily driver.
Which is why i can’t just sell the golf and bop about in the Mazda

@trevayne Sell the golf, keep the mx5. Hard get a rust free mx5 now, prices only going up. Get a cheap diesel for the milage, either something 1.9 if you want to look like a farmer or get an early e90 320d, 06/07 with the m47 engine so you’ve no chain issues.

I paid 1500 for an 06 msport 320d last year, high milage but it was some car, regret selling. Drive the hole out of it and she’d still do 45mpg, only problems I had was the clockspring/squib common issue on e90s and I kept breaking cv joints from a combination of being too low and having a welded diff. M47 will go forever, mine had 280k miles and was perfect, make sure the swirl flaps are removed.

Corolla or civic will drink petrol, and both of which will be stone rotten and burning oil lol.

I also like how you are worrying about owning 2 cars haha, I’m 21 work part time minimum wage while in college, and have 6 cars, not a single cent to my name. Have no loans bar my monthly insurance payment.

@elisheva94 Tell me about it, I had one years ago, pulled it out of the back of a garden and got it running then stupidly sold it.
Came up for sale around the same time I was looking for another mx-5, some 3 years later.
Went to view it and stuck my thumb through the now rotten sill..

@trevayne Don’t sell the MX-5. you probably bought its lowest price. These cars will appreciate it or stay stagnant. I.e. if you bought it for 5k, it will always be worth 5k (once maintained)

I’d sell the golf. Why can’t you daily the MX-5? Get a proper insurance policy.

Because you want to keep mileage low and keep it clean? I’d understand that too. Car mad myself.

👍🏻

@lexxzeppelin I’m inclined to agree, I’m also sickened at myself for selling the €850 NA I bought and got running for less than €1000 all in.. I went to view it around the same time that my current car came up for sale and it was rotten with rust unfortunately.

I can’t said it the Mx-5 because it’s a 98 and a Jap import, it’s been a real struggle to get insured on it.
So in order to keep it all legal I need to have a daily driver

@trevayne I didnt even read past the second paragraph.

Sell the golf. Use the money to pay off a chunk of the loan. Being a car enthusiast too I want a classic car but can't afford one. You'll get more enjoyment out of the mx5, going to coffee and cars, car runs etc.
Price of mx5 will go up. Diesel golf will go down

@trevayne As someone who isn't a car nut, I'd say nobody needs 2 cars and you should sell one.

On the other hand, if cars are really your thing, and you can afford the loan repayments, insurance, servicing, depreciation etc then just keep them both.

As I'm sure you know, the 2nd hand car market is nuts at the moment so everything is inflated. That works in your favour if you sell one, but works against you if you buy a replacement for it.

@trevayne I have regretted selling every JDM car I had in the past, Mivec,Evo, Siliva etc, :( , All were dirt cheap back in the day, nowadays all I have is a boring reliable old VW that does gets me from A to B, So id keep the MX5 for as long as possible!