elizabetha89

Hi guys. I would like to ask for your perspective on whether to buy a new phone or repair my old phone. Please include calculations if you are able to do so.

So, recently I had problems with the screen of my phone, with green lines running down the screen. The number of lines are increasing as time goes by, and it starts to obstruct my vision.

The price of my phone is RM1600 bought brand new, and I had used it for 2 years. To repair the phone screen, it costs about RM600. (may be used for another 1. 5 to 2 years? Before it starts to lag) Of course there is non-original screen at a cheaper price point, but Im sure it will only last a few months based on my previous experience.

Lets say I buy a new phone, which have abt the same 'spec level' today, it will probably cost RM1800 to RM2000.

So, which one is better? Just curious on your perspective. Thank you 👍.

@elizabetha89 Apply for credit cards at ringgitplus until you win an iPhone /s

No point repairing a screen for 600 bucks. Better buy a phone for rm800 and use it for another 1 year till you save up more money. Nowadays rm800 phones should last at least 2 years easily

@elizabetha89 if your phone is samsung, there was a promo ongoing for free screen repair, not too sure if still ongoing can give samsung service centre to call.

but if it's not, the more important thing is the stuff in your phone, how you gonna move your latest whatsapp backup, all the other backups you might need from your current phone, my mom was dealing with the same issue and they ask her to change a cheap RM100 screen if she planning to buy a new phone just to transfer data only, but in the end she decided to change the screen as she's not keen on changing a new phone as of right now.

@elizabetha89 Need to see which phone. If it’s non flagship iPhone/samsung or 1 year ago flagship, then not worth it

Father had a screen replacement for his 1+ 8T. Within 1 year the display again green line.

Screen defect is always not worth fixing

@elizabetha89 Samsung A05 series only like RM 700-800.

Since you can afford 1k++ phone then might as well just change one and use the another one for spare

My Samsung phone RM 799 - 5 years and still going strong.

No lag . No screen problems

@elizabetha89 If you're OK with the current phone performance, I'd say try to repair it. That's my personal rule anyway I'll try to repair or replace battery on my phone at least once before changing. This helps my phone last around 4 or 5 years.

@elizabetha89 For a two year old RM1600 phone, I find it hard to believe that the screen replacement is RM600. Perhaps spare parts are rare or you are getting a heavily marked up price. Infact I think you can even buy a full secondhand same model for RM600.

If you are sure the market price for screen replacement is RM600 then sell your phone for scrap and get a new phone.

@elizabetha89 My old oppo Reno 7 got green line after firmware update. Send to service center and they ask for 800 for shit they cause. Swap to Xiaomi 14 now and my eye feel relax after using the fuxxxx green line phone for 5 months.

Or u can buy screen replacement from taobao and fix it yourself. Some fix their phone screen and the green line issue oocured again after months. Try to search online to see if your phone model will have reoccurring green line issue after changing the screen.

But changing to a new one is way better. Who doesn't like new phone 😁

Thank you everyone for your reply. My phone is Redmi K50, which is a China Set. As for why I buy this phone, its to try out the new Dimensity Chip when it first came out, but no local phone models utilize the chip yet at that time.

So, to get the screen I need to buy from shopee which is around RM500 and get it fixed outside at a repair shop which maybe charge me fees of RM50 to RM100. Its a OLED screen with 120Hz hence the price.