Short term insurance plans for an international student in NYC

dannyt

I'm an international student in New York City (on F-1 visa). My university health plan expires on December 31, and my new job (and hence, new insurance plans) begins in February. My school/provider doesn't provide any option to renew the plan I am for this intermediate period, and they recommend enrollment on the New York State of Health Marketplace. Is this the only option? Are there other short term insurance plans I can purchase for this situation?

@munyaku Are you aware what my options would be? Is purchasing a plan using NYSOH and terminating it when my employer provided insurance kicks-in feasible?

@dannyt You can look at visitor insurance like Insubuy

Not sure if this is banned in NY as the other comment mentions. But do good research on plans and get a comprehensive coverage if possible, sometimes these companies find a pre existing condition or other loop holes to get out of covering you (Usually a problem for older folks)

P.S: JP from Tri..., Capti.... 😀 ? DM me if so

@dannyt I'm not sure what your income is, but NY allows people with student visas (as long as they're not expired) to enroll in full Medicaid.