Senseonics ($SENS) Continuous Glucose Monitor

@gazenhauser Right, and it does not even attempt to answer any of the questions I asked you. Why is preferable to have surgery and then poke yourself in the finger twice a day instead of just poking yourself in the abdomen or upper arm one a week?

When the SENS implant is removed from anatomy, what does it look like? Have they solved the gnarly issues that DXCM ran into with their long term implant?

@resjudicata Incredibly minor “surgery” (if you really want to call it that) once every 90 days vs. a sticker that keeps falling off early....

Some people will prefer one, and others will prefer the other.

1% of the TAM is $500M/year. I believe way more than 1% will prefer an incredibly minor surgery every 3 months, and whatever the number, it will increase with the 180 day device, and increase more with the 365 day device.

@gazenhauser
a sticker that keeps falling off early

You know that there's an adhesive wearable with the Senseonics system too, right? If you remove the self-adhesive wearable, then you don't get your data.

Did you want to address the fingerstick frequency or potential explantation issues or nah?

@resjudicata “You know that there's an adhesive wearable with the Senseonics system too, right?”

Yes, but it’s just tape, not the sensor that you’re wasting. Tape is cheap.

Regarding the finger pricks, I believe the sensor coming off early is a bigger problem than pricking your finger. How many times do diabetics have to prick their finger without a CGM? And how well are their glucose levels kept under control? And do you really believe that Senseonics isn’t working to improve their product?

Have you talked to anyone using Eversense and asked them how often their finger prick test doesn’t match the sensor? Maybe you should try that.

@gazenhauser Tape is cheap, but DXCM replaces sensors that fall off at no charge to the user. Not a compelling counterargument.

You fundamentally misunderstand the CGM market. Getting rid of fingersticks is the #1 pathway to adoption. Data integrity keeps the user in the ecosystem.

Dexcom is a pain to replace sensors and they don’t do it easily. I’ve had multiple sensors go bad and had 1 actually replaced. Also, to address OP further up.. I do not even test my glucose by finger stick with my G6. It is approved by the FDA to be reliable enough and accurate enough to not have to test. I actually have a few photos I can provide with my sensor reading vs a glucose meter and they are identical values. I am a SENS holder and love the idea of what they’re doing but Dexcom does have a solid product currently but they also have their flaws such as being expensive as hell, the sensors rarely last a full 10 days and the adhesive can cause skin irritation or come off prematurely without the additional extra adhesive you can buy.