Seeking opinion for a newbie regarding stocks to hold, and ETFs

dally

I'm a newbie investor and I wanted to know some of your opinions on the stocks I currently have. So the long and short of it is that I have around R5k invested with EE (a lot of money for me, but not so much that losing all of it would be crippling), and I'm wanting to move the bulk of that from individual stocks to predominantly ETFs.

I originally wanted to start investing to go for long time growth, but through a stroke of luck, I won around R4k on Etoro with GME stock. I migrated that gain to EE, added a couple of extra bucks to it and bought a bunch of stocks on the JSE. After a couple of weeks though I've remembered that I want to be in this for the long run, and playing fast and loose with this cash, and whatever I add to it in the future, isn't the best way to go about it.

Here's the crux of the post. I've listed below the different stocks I've invested in, if anyone is interested, I'd like your opinion on if I should; drop the stock, hold it, or partially hold it. I've done a level of DD on all of them, but out of interest I'll list what got me interested initially in each one:

1) Aspen - Mostly because I see it everywhere IRL

2) Aveng - Because of the super low value of the stock

3) BAT - I smoke their products

4) Goldfields - JSEbets

5) Growthpoint - REIT dividends

6) Huge group - My favourite stock because they want to buy AdaptIT and I use Caseware almost daily

7) Liberty - A friend suggested it to me

8) Purple group - They own EE

9) Redefine - REIT dividends

10) Renergen - JSEbets

11) Sefanutti - JSEbets

I understand that some people might be upset by this post, I'm not looking for anyone to do the work for me, but if anyone wants to weigh in, please feel free to do so.

TL:DR - Provide your opinion on the above stocks if you'd like.

@dally It sounds like your portfolio is a bit to big..not sure how much money u have but I mean u need like 300k in goldfields alone to actually see growth for your money.. so it's better to have a smaller portfolio with more shares in one company than loads of shares owning only like 100 shares.. remember it's all about volumes.. I know u can pic up high volumes with aveng so that's about 1000 rand... but yea thats my 2 cents I guess...

@dally If your a newbie and want long term growth, I recommend not investing in single stock picks. And also not so heavily South African focus. The market atm had lots of short term growth and lots of options look like value, but look at the bigger picture here...

Rather get yourself an ETF that's offshore focused and contribute to it as and when you get money. And for love of god, don't invest in something just because of r/JSE_Bets. Do your own due diligence.

No offence but majority of the people on that sub have less than a year (or very little) trading experience and purely started looking at trading due to FOMO of the whole WSB saga. Lots of good guys in between, but in the end of the day, do your own due diligence and be sure to understand why and in what your are investing. Especially since this is for long term holds and not overnight rocket ships.

@dally Also a newbie, don’t know what I’m doing. EFTs will be my main hold. A small portion of funds I will gamble on choice stocks (to satisfy my curiosity but that I’m prepared to lose ie Aveg, Ren and others that are pumping).

@alwaysreforming This sounds like a plan, I've left R500 in Aveng because I tried to buy at 3c, and it got bought at 4c. I try selling when the price says 4c so I only lose the fees, but it keeps saying my sale value is 3c. So I'm keeping it there as a matter of principle.

@dally I’m holding Aveng. Just look the other way for now and it look pretty again. I also got in at 4c. Got caught up in the hype. I firmly believe it’s going to grow nicely though. May cost a bit more with looming rights issue again but it’s all going in the Same direction which is (hopefully) up up and away. Long hold I’m told so be patient and don’t sell due to panic. The cake is still baking.