Seeking Advice / Opinions: How to best set myself up for the future

Hi All,

I've been meaning to get advice from people a lot smarter than I am in terms of finance and investing, so here we are.

The below dot points reflect top-line where I sit (I'm in Australia for context):

Personal

• Salary: $150k yearly / $8.1k monthly (Inc. Super)
  • Savings: $181k (All is sitting in an uncapped offset account)
  • Super: $72.6k

Property (2 Bedroom Unit, Investment / Rented Out since June 2023)

• Mortgage: $256k
  • Mortgage Repayments: $1.64k monthly
  • Rent Income: $1.87k monthly (After property manager fees)
  • Property Value (Approx): $540k

I won't do a breakdown of expenses, but they're quite low. I live with my partner and I pay her 35% of her loan each month - this works out to around $750. We also half everything else: Bills, food etc. My overheads aren't large at all (I don't buy much either - I save the majority of my pay).

One area that I've never gotten around to properly is investing in stocks and bonds. I have no issues playing the long game or diversifying investment across low/medium/high risk. Initial thoughts were to look into things like Vanguard, AI, sustainability, efficient power etc. I asked friends about easy ways to start here, and some mentioned that Commbank is good to start with and has ok fees. Outside of this, I haven't looked into it as I'm unsure where to start. As it stands, all I'm doing is maxing out my offset account, but I feel that I could be doing more.

I've also thought about increasing super contributions as I believe that's better for minimizing tax (Correct me if I'm wrong). I'm yet to do a deep dive into research on this, but I think there are benefits to doing this.

If anyone has any points of advice for me I'd greatly appreciate it. Maybe other people who are in similar situations can benefit from this thread too, so keen to start a broader conversation.

Happy to answer any questions also.

Thanks guys

@devinc Hey Few,

I've worked in the media/marketing space for about 8 years. I recently accepted a new job as Digital Account Director which I'll start in a couple of weeks.

For whatever reason, the job is paying above the average $120 - $140k range, so I really lucked out! I'm really hoping that I meet expectation... lol