Seeking Advice on Investing in S&P 500 ETF in Switzerland

uberweston

Hello SwissPersonalFinance community,

I'm looking to start investing in a S&P 500 ETF and would like to take your insights on the best approach in Switzerland. My main question is whether it's more advantageous to invest in an ETF denominated in USD or in CHF. For example, VOO is in USD but has a 0.03% OCF/TER instead of a 0.12% in CHF.

Additionally, I'm considering the platforms through which to invest. The two options I'm currently looking at are InteractiveBrokers and UBS. I already use IBKR. My preliminary analysis leads me to the UBS ETF, specifically the UBS ETF (IE) S&P 500 hedged CHF UCITS ETF. The reasons are :
  1. The management fee for this ETF has recently been reduced to 0.12% (quite reasonable).
  2. The ETF is denominated in CHF, which might be more favorable considering currency exchange risks.
  3. It is a capitalizing ETF, which could be beneficial for reinvesting dividends and compounding growth.
I'm curious about your experiences or recommendations.

Thank you in advance!

@uberweston TL;DR: Use IBKR and dont care about denomination as it is only an automatic currency exchange for higher TER

The denomination does not really matter wether it is in USD or CHF since the underlying performance remains the same but currency exchange is automatically calculated in for the CHF so you can save the extra TER. I would rather go for more volume to be more flexible in buying/selling and less spread.
If you believe that USD/CHF exchange rate falls more significant than the current money market diffenrence (the exact calculation is very intransparent and I did not figure out the exact % yet)
you might want to look for a CHF hedged ETF instead.

For the platform, IBKR still way cheaper than UBS so I would recommend IBKR.
There also should be ETFs denominated in CHF if you really want them. Just look for "(acc)" ETFs so they are accumulating instead of "(dis)" distributing.

@hesmyrock Thanks a lot for the feed-back !

IBKR is also cheaper when buying, so that's a +1 as well for this option.

Comparing the USD/CHF ratio vs VOO, it's okay to lose some % vs the CHF because VOO has gone up a lot more. And I think a 0.03 vs 0.12% make a lot of differences in the long-run.

Thanks again !

@hesmyrock Wrong. The ubs etf he mentioned is hedging the currency risk!
My recommensation is that it depends on the planned investment time. If you plan for short or midterm, go for the hedged version

@uberweston Having bought VOO and VUSA i can tell you it doesn't make much of a difference. Not that VUSA is hedged but you're just buying it with CHF. And basically while the values might change drastically, at the end of the day, i'm left with the same gains in CHF with one or the other

As for the UBS fund :

1- .12% is still four times worse than .03%. Not that .12% is that high to begin with but that fact alone doesn't necessarily work for me

2- if hedging is a factor for you then sure, but like i said, it isn't a big deal IMO

3- you can always reinvest your Distributed dividends. So the only thing to consider here is the laziness factor: If you're planning on buying once and forgetting it for 20 years, sure, Acc makes sense. Otherwise you can just invest your dividends with your monthly contribution

4- that UBS fund is worth 220millions. It's really not that big. Not that i'm worried about a UBS fund failing (or am I ?) but rather it has a very low trading volume, meaning prices are more likely to swing up and down and selling or buying big chunks can be more challenging. For reference, SESGS has sold 53 shares today while VUSA has sold 488. And even VUSA is pretty small compared to VOO (NYSE hasnt opened yet but it's usually around several thousands each day)

EDIT : I should also add that hedging, while being a security fee, is also depending on your needs. There's no need for hedging if you're like 30 and are just investing for your retirement and don't need that money. I mean sure you'll want to sell this eventually, and so you'll then bear the currency risk when you need stable income, but it's very likely that the additionnal gains unhedged funds gave you over the years will be worth more than any currency risk could be worth in 30 years time.

Unless maybe you're very pessimistic about the CHF/USD rate, but then that's a very personnal view nobody can help you with

@graymike91 Thanks a lot for this amazing feedback !

I'm 24 so, I think it's okay to buy VOO or IVV without and hedge.

Comparing the USD/CHF ratio vs VOO confirmed this option.

I also like the argument of liquidity, Vanguard has so much volume, that's a +1.

I'll continue to use IB and buy VOO and IVV 50/50 I think.

Thanks again !

@uberweston Do wait for more feedbacks though. I'm pretty sure the overall feeling of that subreddit is that hedging is useless, but some people might disagree and give you valid reasons for it.

And yeah, volume is a bitch sometimes. If you place too big of a buy order you risk hiking up prices, and the other way around for selling so it needs to be planned ahead and it makes any big withdrawal inherently riskier (but you can end up just fine ofc).

@graymike91
Do wait for more feedbacks though. I'm pretty sure the overall feeling of that subreddit is that hedging is useless, but some people might disagree and give you valid reasons for it.

Yup. Since US has a money printer going brrrrr and the CHF has its very own history in gaining value against like any currency... personally I prefere hedging in CHF. At least partially.
Saw too many people crying again at the end of 2023 when almost all gains were gone because of the exchange rate.

But this is a very complicated subject anyone has to handle how they feel more comfortable with.

@uberweston As already said, use IB, way cheaper than UBS and no stamp tax.

Many people hedge currency risks with futures, swaps, carry trades, options, or, the most expensive way, hedged ETF.

I don't. In my opinion every last and single company is it's own currency. If you measure your performance in USD it will be higher as in CHF for the past, but over longer time-frames this will be peanuts. And nobody knows the future. Except that it doesn't come for free, no insurance does.

SP500 companies are usually big international enterprises that make their money in many different currencies. So, even if you hedge Dollars against CHF you still may lose on currency fluctuation. The hedge is actually just another bet, another trade. I don't like to trade worthless things like cash.

BTW: there is no cheaper way to exchange currency than IB, I think they even block your account if you use it only to exchange currency. So send in your CHF, exchange there and buy the better ETF in USD.